Relay query..

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should know this and/or figure it out by process of elimination...and...I looked in a "Motor" manual 'Component locator' and it did not show up...everything else did but not this...

What is the relay on the drivers side fender above the fuel/water seperator..?

What does the little booger control/protect?

I don't have any pictures..yet..but sooner or later Y'all will get the full scoop on my two years with this beast...bringing it back from purgatory...

Thanks in advance,

Xolatem.

!985 F-350 6.9 T-19 DRW

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trailer relay. Also runs your marker lights on top of the cab and the fender markers out back.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son-uva-gunn....no s**t...makes sense. Thank you very much Chillman
Why didn't I think of that...? Well... it must be working...the lights work. Cool.

So...that must be why the light switch doesn't get overloaded and flame out. I guess I should be carrying a spare...come to think of it...

I'm gonna hafta get a bigger box for spare parts...

This group is right on... I have never felt inclined to join a group until I became aware of this one...

I hope that I can return the help in some way, some day.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The light switch still can get overloaded. It's a good idea to look into the headlight relay mod. You're talking about 30+ year old wiring that wasn't great to begin with.... I just bought the premade harness from Bronco Graveyard because I was lazy LOL

I only know what that relay is because mine gave me headaches for a little while. Got to work a couple times and turned the lights off.... Except the lights didn't turn off! I was getting water in my relay. It was shorting internally and keeping the lights on!

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you chillman. I will look into that harness. I got the firewall reinforcement from Bronco Graveyard so I am content with dealing with them. Good outfit as far as I am concerned. The instuctions were well-written and comprehensive.
Thanks for alerting me to the possible relay concern. I'll keep that in mind.
Have a great day Y'all...