Headgaskets.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's alil more than I need and way too rich for y blood!

Anyways. Got lazy today. No work on the truck done. Went and worked to getthe money for the headgaskets then took a friends jeep mudding most of the day.

Now the bolt inthe back of the valley pan? How dose it come out? I honestly could not see it at first with how much junk was piled up in there it looked like poo...

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Just took my valley pan out, the plug requires a 3/8 drive inserted and turns counter clock wise.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks that's exatly what I needed.
Pull that off tomorrow drain allege fluids and run Dow goths store to pick up head gaskets.
Now forthe real question. In any other case I would just replace both head gaskets the proper way. But considering I'm low on money right now and the engines getting pulled next summer for a slight rebuild and a few goodies like one of the 2 cams available for our engines. Is it really worth it to do both gaskets? I think the drivers side can hold for another 6 months.... The engone really doesn't see much boost.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
I would go ahead and take the time and replace both of them since your there and have already taken everything off to make room for the one that your replacing, not that much more time to do both.

True what is the chance that both would go out at the same time or maybe hold till you get it back together and there you go again tearing it apart. Replacing the other one would be just a piece peace of mind thing...

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks that's exatly what I needed.
Pull that off tomorrow drain allege fluids and run Dow goths store to pick up head gaskets.
Now forthe real question. In any other case I would just replace both head gaskets the proper way. But considering I'm low on money right now and the engines getting pulled next summer for a slight rebuild and a few goodies like one of the 2 cams available for our engines. Is it really worth it to do both gaskets? I think the drivers side can hold for another 6 months.... The engone really doesn't see much boost.

Seriously?? Don't do it man replace both of those head gaskets- they have the same amount of mileage and wear and tear on them.... it will be worth it in the end to have that fresh SET of gaskets.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking just wanted to get a opinion on it. Better safe then sorry I guess..
Hoping to scrounge up money for studs while I'm in there.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Chris let me know if you find studs at a reasonable price, ARP's are a little pricey for my wallet right now, but was hoping to find some to add to my rebuild...

John

wmoguy

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking just wanted to get a opinion on it. Better safe then sorry I guess..
Hoping to scrounge up money for studs while I'm in there.

Read in your sig you onlyrun 8psi. If you are for sure going to pull that motor next summer for a rebuild maybe consider studs then. Take the few hundred the studs would cost you now and drop the heads off at a machine shop. Have the shop make sure those heads are nice and flat,and if not, make em flat.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read in your sig you onlyrun 8psi. If you are for sure going to pull that motor next summer for a rebuild maybe consider studs then. Take the few hundred the studs would cost you now and drop the heads off at a machine shop. Have the shop make sure those heads are nice and flat,and if not, make em flat.

Thanks WMO... I get what you're saying. THE only problem with that is the closet machine shop I've been able to find ( unless I'm just stupid and missing something completely obvious right down the road from me) is alil over a hundred miles away. I do like the way you think tho wmoguy.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Thanks WMO... I get what you're saying. THE only problem with that is the closet machine shop I've been able to find ( unless I'm just stupid and missing something completely obvious right down the road from me) is alil over a hundred miles away. I do like the way you think tho wmoguy.

Deeproots had a really good article on here somewhere about a properly prepared surface, etc.. A super flat head will save you all kinds of headaches down the road. FWIW, the diesel shop that did my top end refused to let me put my heads back on without having them checked out, turns out they did need a little trimmy trim trim.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deeproots had a really good article on here somewhere about a properly prepared surface, etc.. A super flat head will save you all kinds of headaches down the road. FWIW, the diesel shop that did my top end refused to let me put my heads back on without having them checked out, turns out they did need a little trimmy trim trim.

Time to start really looking for a machine shop now.
I appreciate it wmoguy.
I'll check his thread out too.