Headgaskets.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
But re-using the intake requires you to add pookey to the water ports and around the bottom of the intake to keep from blowing boost down into the valley and sucking oil into the runner.

SWS

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes 410 for studs! I thought I saw somewhere that you could get a set of 7in studs for 2 something. Oh well.
Just to be safe I'll get a new valley pan gasket and rePlace this one.

Well my helper had to work today so not much getting done today. Just some cleaning. I forgot the intake manifold was grey!

wmoguy

Reaction score
Yikes 410 for studs! I thought I saw somewhere that you could get a set of 7in studs for 2 something. Oh well.
Just to be safe I'll get a new valley pan gasket and rePlace this one.

Well my helper had to work today so not much getting done today. Just some cleaning. I forgot the intake manifold was grey!

All I can say is do it, don't scrimp there man. I mentally convinced myself I could get by without them and not a day goes I'm glad I skipped doing them. Now I plan to, but the cost and time to go back in is obnoxious. Everytime I boost up to 15-16 psi (which is rare) a few beads of sweat form on my brow.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
You are a tough sob then, I have done them by myself and thought I was going to die.LOL

X2

Those suckers are HEAVY! and not only the fact of how heavy they are, but you have to lean into the engine bay and extend your arms out, I tried doing it without a hoist or anything, and I messed up the gasket, wasn't fun.

And when installing the head bolts, make sure you chase the threads in the block, and if you use and lube do very little.

I think that was my problem with the first engine, just wanted to get it done, didn't chase the threads, used a lot of anti seize and the head bolts hydro locked :frustrate

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money is real short right now especially without a job. I'll see what I can scrounge up.
Head gaskets, valley pan gasket and studs. Ugh always something spend your money on huh?
Yikes I'll be sure to use little lube then thanks.

Anyways back to the action. I have a bud coming over later and the plan is to pull the valley pan gasket injectors and fuel return lines then drain the coolant to pull the heads off tomorrow. Proballythe fuel filter housing toO to make room.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money is real short right now especially without a job. I'll see what I can scrounge up.
Head gaskets, valley pan gasket and studs. Ugh always something spend your money on huh?
Yikes I'll be sure to use little lube then thanks.

Anyways back to the action. I have a bud coming over later and the plan is to pull the valley pan gasket injectors and fuel return lines then drain the coolant to pull the heads off tomorrow. Proballythe fuel filter housing toO to make room.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Taking off all the brackets on the front of the engine wouldn't be a bad idea either, it really opens things up, and you'll have to take off part of the black condenser box to get to the passenger side head.

And on the drivers side head bolt WAY in the back you might need to take a hammer and make some room on the fire wall, it's a tight fit.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great....not exatly what I w t to hear.
Taking a Break Togo get lunch. So figured I'd ask how the he'll do I take off the valley pan gasket?? Startingto get frustrated

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you take the hood off, and drain the coolant from the block (9/16 head plugs usually)

If you have a friend with you; Put an 8ft 2x4 through the chain bolted to the head and put a nail in the middle of it to keep the chain (and head) from sliding either way. With one person on either end of the board, it's even easier to lift the heads out than using a cherry picker.
Installing the heads you'll want 2 people slowly lowering the head while you line it up with the dowels. I trashed a headgasket using a cherry picker, but with friends and a board had no issues at all.

Head studs can be installed with the engine in the truck, but it's a PITA, especially with pre-stretching them. Much easier if you pull the heater box and the insulated cover on the firewall to free up space.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks oncorb I'm deck Definatly going to need a new one....this ones mangled up beyond repair and it's STILL stuck in the damm truck. It seems like it's catching on some sort of bolt but the only thing I found I can stick a pick right through so?? How doese that come out.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you take the big plug at the back out? If that is what you are sticking a pick through, that is a threaded plug, what you are sticking the pick through is a 1/2" square drive plug.... that is the drain for the VP and what holds it down....

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat myself with a wepping head gasket on the drivers side rear, some help is definiatly needed getting those puppies out of there. Just pulled both mine out by hand with no help, like to have messed things up.

Don't mean to hi-jack, but which head gasket is best; Fel-Pro or Victor Reinz. I want to do this right the first time. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Ididriver, while you have the heads off, itaybe a good idea to rebuild your oil cooler, since you will have everything apart and put of the way, just a thought.
Good luck on your repairs.....