Head gasket question

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
i am just scared that the HG's will get messed up during delivery.

The valley pan (aka intake manifold gasket) is a strangely shaped item, and is thin enough metal that I'd be concerned about shipping damage also. It needs to fit properly, and has a whole lower section that gives strength to the upper section.

Spent (quite) a bit more, but was able to see that everything looked right before paying. But, then, I have a CarQuest hub store a few steps from my workplace. And I was looking for the quality of Victor Reinz, carried by CarQuest.

Just my opin, '94IDITurbo7.3.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Got all three parts separately.. (hg, valley pan & exhaust gaskets). Should've asked if they came in a set... duh. First time down this road. :confused:

Keep in mind that each head's about 85 lbs without the exhaust manifold. The manifold adds weight to that, and throws off the balance (downward) when you have the head in midair. An exhaust manifold gasket set would be a good idea, though I'd expect you'd have a tough time removing the manifolds in-frame. Have I read something about unbolting cab mounts among the F crowd? Yikes!

We pulled the engine from the van, 'cuz of the tight-space realities of the E-series. My buddy's mighty savvy with a hoist. ;Sweet

Having just done this with the engine out, I must again tip my hat to all who have done heads in-frame. Maneuvering heads in-frame on the Fs is a way different adventure than on the Es, but still quite a dance. :hail

wmoguy

Reaction score
Got all three parts separately.. (hg, valley pan & exhaust gaskets). Should've asked if they came in a set... duh. First time down this road. :confused:

Keep in mind that each head's about 85 lbs without the exhaust manifold. The manifold adds weight to that, and throws off the balance (downward) when you have the head in midair. An exhaust manifold gasket set would be a good idea, though I'd expect you'd have a tough time removing the manifolds in-frame. Have I read something about unbolting cab mounts among the F crowd? Yikes!

We pulled the engine from the van, 'cuz of the tight-space realities of the E-series. My buddy's mighty savvy with a hoist. ;Sweet

Having just done this with the engine out, I must again tip my hat to all who have done heads in-frame. Maneuvering heads in-frame on the Fs is a way different adventure than on the Es, but still quite a dance. :hail

Exactly! Them boogers are heavy and your messing with them in an awful awkward lifting position.
Call me a wimp, but I was happy to watch them put the heads back on my motor in frame. It was every bit worth their $90 an hour rate. Lol

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Like I said before I think the key is getting those heads checked out and make sure they are as flat as a pancake.

Indeed, Jeff! I held off on this job until I was ready for a full recon job on my heads, which were of uncertain history. Turns out they weren't that bad, but they are from my spare engine, which is core-quality otherwise.

They GOTTA be totally flat, and that's something only a qualified shop can measure. Otherwise, any warp or inconsistency can cause another leak, Eric.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Makes me grateful for my dad who actually helps me repair stuff when its broken. But, he is like me (or should i say i am like him) and wanting to keep his old truck and not want anything new.

Glad u got it worked out though. Maybe after this is done he will see what kind of skill u have and wont be so judgemental when u spend XX on this repair and have basically a new truck vs. selling it for a possible hunk.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
so this morning i ordered my head set and intake manifold gasket from rock auto. got those two thing for $134 shipped to my door. i would have rather got them local but the cost difference was to much to not go with rockauto.

But.......this afternoon i was thinking, i forgot to order new o-rings and gaskets for the oil cooler.:frustrate so i just got back on rock auto and found the oil cooler stuff. turns out by ordering these separate from the head set and valley pan i will be saving $4.29;Sweet

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
just a small update. got my cooler o-rings and stuff today. Head set should be here early next week?

Oh by the way,
I'M GETTING HEAD STUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;Sweet:D:thumbsup::rock:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7