Head gasket question

wmoguy

Reaction score
what is the going rate on a set of NEW head bolts?

IIRC when I did mine a year ago, new Head Bolts were around $450-500'ish. FWIW, the Standadyne & Bosch certified shop that did mine told me it was totally un-needed since they aren't TTY bolts. We ended up re-using mine. I don't wanna jinx myself and tell you how thats working out thus far. :angel:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
IIRC when I did mine a year ago, new Head Bolts were around $450-500'ish. FWIW, the Standadyne & Bosch certified shop that did mine told me it was totally un-needed since they aren't TTY bolts. We ended up re-using mine. I don't wanna jinx myself and tell you how thats working out thus far. :angel:

are you regretting re-using your old bolts now?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so after new bolts and washers i would only be about $130 less than going with head studs.

are studs worth the extra $130?
IMHO absolutely yes.

I know some have recommended that you re-use the original bolts, but IIRC Mel's article spells out why that's not the best idea even though they're not TTY...again, I know that finances are an issue, but if you're planning to keep the truck long-term, you will thank yourself down the road for using studs.

Just my $.02...

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
...... I can say, Dad's will always give their opinion on stuff like that no matter how old you are.

Well said, Heath. I remember my first mechanical project with my buddy (trans swap on a Chevette!). My beloved, late father waited until we had it 95% apart, then came out and asked "Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

I didn't, but my buddy did. The same buddy who's helping me (read: I'm helping him) with my 7.3 head gaskets in recent weeks, decades later.

I try to not even think about what Dad would think of my van....

wmoguy

Reaction score
how much boost you running with that new turbo Jeff?

Been as high as 24. I'm burning very clean at 12-13 psi so I'm out of fuel. Anything more than that's just asking for damage or bragging rights (or both. Lol)

FWIW I ran the same turbo you have for about a year and up to 15psi countless times without studs. My thinking is the prep of the heads and precise work plays a big part in it holding together so far.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Been as high as 24. I'm burning very clean at 12-13 psi so I'm out of fuel. Anything more than that's just asking for damage or bragging rights (or both. Lol)

FWIW I ran the same turbo you have for about a year and up to 15psi countless times without studs. My thinking is the prep of the heads and precise work plays a big part in it holding together so far.

thanks. how many miles on the bolts?

wmoguy

Reaction score
thanks. how many miles on the bolts?

About 40k? Maybe a little less don't remember exactly.

Honestly if you are pulling the engine to do the head gaskets. Without a doubt do studs (provided you are keeping the pickup a while)

Timing of when I needed the pickup back and that my headgaskets where done in frame (and it looked like a royal pita to do studs inframe)

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
engine is gonna stay in frame. i highly doubt i can get my dad to do studs.

so you only had 40K miles on your head bolts when you did HG's and re-used the bolts?

another question: do the exhaust manifolds HAVE to come off?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i can get the head set, and intake gasket from rock auto for $134 shipped to my door. i am just scared that the HG's will get messed up during delivery. RA is by far the best deal.

just getting hg's and intake gasket from autozone will be more than a complete head set and intake gasket from RZ. add another $10 for valve cover gaskets from a-zone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin