Head gasket question

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
is the valley pan supposed to be flat where it goes under the IP gear timing cover? also does that IP gear timing cover need to be removed when replacing the valley pan?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Ok, got some pics. you can see the bend in the valley pan.

You must be registered for see images attach

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Surprised no one has jumped on this yet, Eric, but here's a quote from senior group member icanfixall in another current thread:

"Whatever you do make sure the person that removes the pump from the engine does not remove the pump still connected to the gear and cover. No matter what you may have read on utube. Thats not the way to do the job. There is no way to truely see the gear timing marks when it goes back togehter. We have helped countless members fix this and its not an easy fix either so please talk before you do anything."

And the valley pan I just installed has a sub-valley(?) below the IP. Sure looked to me as if the valley pan just won't come out (or at least go back on intact) with the IP in place. Turns out that my injectors and IP needed replacement anyway, so no major big. Of course, removing the IP means that the timing will need to be reset. -cuss

This does requires a special timing instrument and magical wrenches to reach the IP nuts. As has been restated in some recent threads, timing "by ear" is not enough. :frustrate

As for studs, I also went with them, even though I run my engine bone stock (for now... :sly). Prone to overkill, am I. (Bypass filter on E4OD already in place, coolant filter and bypass engine oil filter awaiting install) cookoo

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah i don't have a timing meter so i just have to wing it.LOL

yeah i knew about the timing gear cover. looks as though that cover does not need to come off to do the valley pan.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i don't know if this is related but sometimes when i start the truck i will get really weird "liquid clunking" sound. yes i know terrible description but is the best i know how to describe it lol. it has only happened maybe 3 times since i have had the truck. seems to happen after the truck has sat for quite a while. it did if for maybe 5 seconds after it sat for 2 months for my turbo. sitting overnight it won't do it.

i "think" i have seen a couple threads on hear this past summer about others with a similar noise.

does it sound like hitting your hand over the end of a piece of tubing? I am guessing bad lifter.

any ideas on this sound guys? it does sound like hitting your hand over the end of a pipe.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Never heard an IDI make that sound, but I am familiar with it from other vehicles.

Shoot, if you've got the valley pan off, Eric, the lifters are right there, in the valley. They look pretty easy to replace. :D

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
well then, if i have a bad lifter what brands do you guys like. ford lifter are like $45/lifter. NOT going to happen. can get 16 lifters shipped to my door from rock auto for $200. they are sealed power brand.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Well, Eric, Sealed Power is a well-known brand, but I have no experience with their products. Hopefully someone else can comment on Sealed Power.

Was having trouble seeing your pics, but now I see them. That bend at the front sill of the valley pan does NOT look right. Mine is flat, as is the deck on the block the sill rests on. Shipping damage? Looks like I did not take a good pic of mine before installing. :(

16 is the number. When the valley pan's off, the lifter retainer is what you see holding them in. But I didn't touch mine, as my lifters seemed fine. :angel:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric, I think you've hit on one of the eternal questions here, "where do I stop??" when it comes to parts you could replace etc.
Those parts look good, lotta work, bet you'll gain a lot of knowledge.