Head Gasket Oil Leak?

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive n
Time for some oil dye and a black light?
That sounds genius actually. Never knew they had that stuff.

I'm going to run the engine hot tomorrow and try to scrub some sludge off. It's pretty caked and nasty. I suspect the CDR or something towards the back of the engine....Any recommend cheap CDR and gasket?

Is it even possible for a CDR to leak this much oil? My blow by is minimal and this leak has to be enough to spray it down the side of transmission....

Never-Have-I-Ether

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The cdr actually flows a lot of volume, and since there's always a fine mist of oil in it.... It's entirely possible.

Whne rebuilding the 7.3 in my dad's crew cab, I used this for a cdr kit, came in a Ford factory bag, and worked perfectly.

Also as a note, yeah I work on semis for a living and we use oil dye all the time, super helpful at finding leaks.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some fooling around today, I'm thinking the IP is what is leaking the most. At high rpm it started letting oil by the gasket. The valley pan is slick from it going back.

As a side note, I dont know what rpm but the tailpipe was making a whistling noise. It's only at a little throttle.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm thinking it just may be time for the IP to be taken off and timing done. I need this truck as a daily though until my other is fixed.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Last edited:

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found pool of oil behind CDR. Unplugged the drain and whoosh it came out. Lots of dirt and old o-rings from the PO. Also found this metal tab. Ideas? Now it's figuring out where the oil is coming from. The air intake has lots of oil sludge inside it which makes me think CDR. Normal? Seems that it must be consuming a bit of the oil and some of it is escaping from somewhere else. Picture attached. Really is nasty and the truck doesn't smoke ever, so hard to believe its consuming this much, but here's the evidence.

Also I believe the IP has to be leaking a lot of the oil. I also saw some seep from under the air intake on the driver side gasket. I'd an @admin wants to rename this thread to Valley Pan Leak or something else....

Never-Have-I-Ether

Attachments

• PXL_20220424_171755161.jpg
    PXL_20220424_171755161.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220424_173552991.jpg
    PXL_20220424_173552991.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
While it does appear that there was some dirt that may have gotten into your intake and mixed with the oil there, it's mostly perfectly normal. A little dust from a dirty air filter can look like a huge problem. The CDR puts excess crankcase gasses back into the intake to be burned again. These engines have a lot of blow by which, in turn, causes a lot of crankcase gasses, all by design (for whatever reason). There will always be some oil mist mixed in with your crankcase gasses no matter what engine you have. That is just a "mechanical law".
Don't worry about what is sitting on the bottom of the intake manifold. The damaging part has long been run through the engine. What's left over now hasn't gone anywhere, maybe for years. You can remove the intake and clean it out if you want to, but I wouldn't get too excited over doing it unless you really want to.
As for that clip, it doesn't look like any part of the engine that I can think of. It probably got dropped by accident and ended up there. I've seen MANY nuts and washers from the IP under or behind the intake. I've even seen several bolts there too. Even though it was under a radiator, I once found a brass (looking) wrench that was dropped and never found.
I don't believe that it's possible for oil to leak from under the intake manifold since there's no liquid of any kind that runs through it. It is possible that oil could seep from under the front or back edges of the valley pan if it's not properly sealed down. Is that where you saw some oil coming from? If it is, you ca remove the manifold and the valley pan (intake gasket) and reseal it. These days, they aren't available new right now (unless something's changed and I'm not aware of it). You can clean up your current one and reuse it.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like this.

Attachments

• 597A46A8-EB21-491B-9130-0E6EC3743C9B.png
    597A46A8-EB21-491B-9130-0E6EC3743C9B.png
    558.2 KB · Views: 12

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like this.
Yup that metal piece is what I found. What is that again? It doesn't say.
While it does appear that there was some dirt that may have gotten into your intake and mixed with the oil there, it's mostly perfectly normal. A little dust from a dirty air filter can look like a huge problem. The CDR puts excess crankcase gasses back into the intake to be burned again. These engines have a lot of blow by which, in turn, causes a lot of crankcase gasses, all by design (for whatever reason). There will always be some oil mist mixed in with your crankcase gasses no matter what engine you have. That is just a "mechanical law".
Don't worry about what is sitting on the bottom of the intake manifold. The damaging part has long been run through the engine. What's left over now hasn't gone anywhere, maybe for years. You can remove the intake and clean it out if you want to, but I wouldn't get too excited over doing it unless you really want to.
As for that clip, it doesn't look like any part of the engine that I can think of. It probably got dropped by accident and ended up there. I've seen MANY nuts and washers from the IP under or behind the intake. I've even seen several bolts there too. Even though it was under a radiator, I once found a brass (looking) wrench that was dropped and never found.
I don't believe that it's possible for oil to leak from under the intake manifold since there's no liquid of any kind that runs through it. It is possible that oil could seep from under the front or back edges of the valley pan if it's not properly sealed down. Is that where you saw some oil coming from? If it is, you ca remove the manifold and the valley pan (intake gasket) and reseal it. These days, they aren't available new right now (unless something's changed and I'm not aware of it). You can clean up your current one and reuse it.

Thanks, I cleaned out the gunk while I was there best I can anyways. I'd say there was probably a 1/4 of dirt stuck at the bottom and all around! Pretty nasty, the CDR had oil dripping into the intake in addition to the vapors. Going to replace it and the gasket as it does leak anyways. I was told they can go bad with the valve open causing the air intake to suck excess oil vapors. It's OEM and I should do it anyways as part of the maintenance.

Thanks,
Never-Have-I-Ether

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Something like this.
I'll bet that's it.
Yup that metal piece is what I found. What is that again? It doesn't say.
That, at least the foam part, is where the PCV valve hose attaches to the air cleaner on a gas engine with a carb. I believe that the metal clip is to hold the rubber piece that's on the end of the hose tight against the air cleaner. Why someone would try to put that on a IDI diesel is beyond me.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto on the sludge in your intake.

The CDR seal to the valley pans gets brittle, cracks, and then leaks. So good call replace them both. Many members have had rain hit the air cleaner and valley pan as hood seals wear out, I believe this is one of the places it gets into the crankcase. So another reason to replace the seal.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the valley pan drain plug (with the 3/8" square hole) is in tight. Been chasing down mystery oil leaks since my engine was turboed and found that plug had rattled loose over the years and some oil was coming out of the threads. Still have one more tiny leak that's driving me nuts.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the valley pan drain plug (with the 3/8" square hole) is in tight. Been chasing down mystery oil leaks since my engine was turboed and found that plug had rattled loose over the years and some oil was coming out of the threads. Still have one more tiny leak that's driving me nuts.

The drain plug can leak oil? I pushed a bunch of crap through it so it's clear. I'll have to see if it's tight.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just around the lip, there's a copper crush area around it, and if it comes loose it can weep oil.