head gasket,oil cooler O rings, or cavitation?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the O ring and gasket set from rockauto that had the 4 O rings and 2 gaskets

Just made sure to check them against your old ones. I've heard of people getting sent powerstroke gaskets which are close but not right. In the event you got the wrong ones it would be nice to know before getting everything back together!

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine, the set I ordered came with the gaskets for a Powerstroke. I didn’t catch it until I was ready to reinstall. I ended up cutting my own from a roll of gasket material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
If you have a Nutmeg trucking supply near you, they have OEM international parts. That is where I got my gaskets and O rings. They fit perfectly, I seem to recall the head gaskets were not paper though, I thought they were rubber but it was a couple years ago that I did it.

I used a copper spray sealant made by permatex, basically high temp RTV silicone in an aerosol. I sprayed the gaskets on both sides and it had enough tackiness to keep them on the cooler while I mounted it. I kept a couple bolts in the cooler to hold the gasket up while lining it up. Separating the ends of the cooler from the core tube is difficult. I used a ratchet strap with one end bolted to a table to get it on and off.

Prepare to get dirty if you havent already.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Just made sure to check them against your old ones. I've heard of people getting sent powerstroke gaskets which are close but not right. In the event you got the wrong ones it would be nice to know before getting everything back together!
Very true! I will make sure to check those out beforehand. Thank you

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
If you have a Nutmeg trucking supply near you, they have OEM international parts. That is where I got my gaskets and O rings. They fit perfectly, I seem to recall the head gaskets were not paper though, I thought they were rubber but it was a couple years ago that I did it.

I used a copper spray sealant made by permatex, basically high temp RTV silicone in an aerosol. I sprayed the gaskets on both sides and it had enough tackiness to keep them on the cooler while I mounted it. I kept a couple bolts in the cooler to hold the gasket up while lining it up. Separating the ends of the cooler from the core tube is difficult. I used a ratchet strap with one end bolted to a table to get it on and off.

Unfortunately don't have an IH dealer nearby. The closest one is out towards Harrisburg, and I didn't have a chance to get up there. If the rockauto gaskets are wrong, I will either make my own like @TNBrett said, or I will see if napa has them. I probably should of just got them from napa to begin with. I will be working on the truck in the middle of a field, so I am prepared for the mess! Thank goodness for coveralls,lol

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I just got the O-rings and gaskets in the mail today. I just wanted to run these by you guys, to make sure I got the right stuff. The third picture is the extra set of gaskets I ordered, because there were two different sets, but it doesn't seem I need them now anyway.

Rock
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes the other gaskets look like the right ones. If you open the package of IDI gaskets and compare them side by side, you'll be able to tell the differences. The gaskets for the front header are very different.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Yes the other gaskets look like the right ones. If you open the package of IDI gaskets and compare them side by side, you'll be able to tell the differences. The gaskets for the front header are very different.
Ok, great. I will open up the other gaskets and compare them in the morning.thanks

Rock

pafixitman

Reaction score
Unfortunately don't have an IH dealer nearby. The closest one is out towards Harrisburg, and I didn't have a chance to get up there. If the rockauto gaskets are wrong, I will either make my own like @TNBrett said, or I will see if napa has them. I probably should of just got them from napa to begin with. I will be working on the truck in the middle of a field, so I am prepared for the mess! Thank goodness for coveralls,lol

Rock
Rock, Five Star has a location in York on Market St. AFAIK, they are still open.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ok, great. I will open up the other gaskets and compare them in the morning.thanks

Rock
You're welcome. I can see the difference with the gaskets still in the package. the PSD front header gasket only has two bolt hole while the one for the IDI has four. The rears are pretty similar, but I'll bet that you can see a difference with them side by side.

cre1992

Reaction score

When we resealed the oil cooler on mine, we did a dry fit and bolted it to the block prior to installing any gaskets to make sure that the oil cooler ends would be flush and aligned with the block. Per the recommendations I read on here. Afterward, I used aviation permatex #2 on the gaskets and stuck them on the oil cooler first. That stuff is thin, and way tacky. Keeps them in place, and I haven't had any leaks yet. It's also recommended for use on the water pump bolts that require it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726