head gasket,oil cooler O rings, or cavitation?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I think that as long as you know the 6.9 is good, then you should swap it into the truck so you can start using it sooner. Then you can take your time going through the 7.3 and have it checked for cracks, pin holes, and other bad possibilities.
Good point. I guess that's what I will do. The 6.9 just needs an IP, but I will swap that out with the good IP and injectors that are on the 7.3 and it should be good to go. I definitely want to do the head gaskets and studs on the 6.9, as well as rebuilding that oil cooler before swapping it in.

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed! All of this has me wondering if I would be better off swapping in the 6.9 after freshening it up. What do you think would be best? My head is spinningcookoo

Rock

I agree. If you know the 6.9 is good just swap it in. That removes the "what if" factor.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Good point. I guess that's what I will do. The 6.9 just needs an IP, but I will swap that out with the good IP and injectors that are on the 7.3 and it should be good to go. I definitely want to do the head gaskets and studs on the 6.9, as well as rebuilding that oil cooler before swapping it in.

Rock
It sounds like you'll have the 6.9 ready to go in in no time. That is once you get the time to get around to it. I'd do exactly what you're talking about doing.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
It sounds like you'll have the 6.9 ready to go in in no time. That is once you get the time to get around to it. I'd do exactly what you're talking about doing.
Yeah, hopefully I can get started on it by the beginning of next month. The good thing is, like you said it shouldn't take long at all, once I get to tearing it apart. I am looking forward to getting the truck up and running good, so I can start fixing it up.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Those black orings wont last.
They got crisp in 20k.
Its funny they are sending an early oring kit .
There is a reason I use OEM green rings and viton for the small.
Farmer rock, I bet you are cavitated or cracked head.
Any head gasket you buy today will be turbo spec.

If you want the good stuff,,,,,

https://russrepair.com/
Russ, I can't find the head gaskets on your site. Do you have a link? thanks

Rock

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have them on my website these are OEM Ford gaskets. let me know if you want something better than what's commonly available at the part store.