Hate my drivetrain. What's my best option?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Russ, if I really wanted that slushbox under there, I would certainly go that route, but if I have to unbolt that 4R100 it will be to put it in a dumpster. Not to reconnect it. LOL

Although right now talk is cheap. It's hard to find a ZF 6 that's available for a reasonable price.

I will send the dumpster.:D

I wish I had a ZF6 here. If I did it would go in the dumpster being sent.:rotflmao

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would saddle up with a local 'intelligent' auto-wrecking yard. Tell them you need all the goodies for a 6-spd swap and see what they can do. I used to piece stuff like that together for customers when I worked on that side of the counter. ;Really

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I wish I had a ZF6 here. If I did it would go in the dumpster.:rotflmao

Don't beat around the bush man... Tell us what you really think!!!

To stay OT: Mel, The E99 that I bought from Nick, came with an Evolution programmer. This is my first experience with a programmer and all I can say, is I am impressed. Putting the truck in the towing tune really wakes up the tranny. Much firmer shifts and the converter locks up quickly. Put the truck back to stock and it acts like you described.

If you do swap for the ZF, please keep me in mind for the 4R100.. Too bad I don't have an extra ZF6 lying around, like I did the ZF5!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Well my problem is not power. I'm plenty satisifed with that. It's getting it to the ground that is the issue, or more specifically the drive shaft. It's clear to me that Ford programmed these model year trucks for transmission longevity. It's brutally obvious that there is no intention of locking up the torque converter until the load is equalized or relieved, and at low speeds where you would have lots of RPM and consequently horsepower, they don't really want you to get it to the wheels very fast. There is no such thing as hard shifts unless you really manage to fool it, and you pretty much have to drive it like it was a stick to get it to shift. You can put your foot into it all you want from a get go, and its not going to spin the tires, but it will be happy to do 2500 RPM at 10MPH. The worst is up a steep hill at like 25-30 MPH, where you have tons of converter slip (And I mean TONS... one of my IDI's could pass this thing at 50MPH at the same engine speed) and you can barely get it to accelerate without using 2 gallons of diesel to do it. I guess in the newer trans, they realized they were going to be putting a lot more HP into them, and they would have to beef them up. If I have to pull a trans, it's certainly not going to be to put a more expensive one in. Besides, I'd like to have the only manual trans Excursion in the country, or at least on of the few if another was converted. Certainly none were made. If I could get all the shift points lowered by 5 MPH and get a 2nd gear TQ lockup at 20 that would be sweet. So Aric, this Edge programmer... Where to get one?

I'll have to double check where I got both of mine from great service and price which I think was on sale for like $430 and reguler price I beleive is $479. Also on the shift changes it limits you to how many MPH you can change the shifts but it will definatelly spin the tires and throw you back in the seat if you mash the pedal but it still has the the disconnected feel when your just loafing and start up a big hill and sounds like you have it floored and barely moving even though you don't. Mel I'll get back with you but basiclly any place that sells edge products that you trust should have the same price and edge stands behind all thier products aslong as they have the warrenty stickers on them so avoid ebay and edge themselve because they keep them marked up so the dealers have some room to make money. Also just wondering but have you researched anything about the tq converter lock up mod?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I'll have to double check where I got both of mine from great service and price which I think was on sale for like $430 and reguler price I beleive is $479. Also on the shift changes it limits you to how many MPH you can change the shifts but it will definatelly spin the tires and throw you back in the seat if you mash the pedal but it still has the the disconnected feel when your just loafing and start up a big hill and sounds like you have it floored and barely moving even though you don't. Mel I'll get back with you but basiclly any place that sells edge products that you trust should have the same price and edge stands behind all thier products aslong as they have the warrenty stickers on them so avoid ebay and edge themselve because they keep them marked up so the dealers have some room to make money. Also just wondering but have you researched anything about the tq converter lock up mod?

A little work in the accumulator body will fix the "disconnected feel".

The programmer is limited to the electronic end of the tranny. By reworking the accumulator it will address the mechanical end and make some big improvements.:D

zpd307

Reaction score
i cant complain about my tranny... when i had it rebuilt in sept, they did the later model upgrades, valve body work, a shift kit and a billet single disc converter.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Let's keep in mind most of the folks on the thread are mostly 1st Gen PSD or IDI folks. The 7.3 X is a 2nd Gen PSD.

The top of the fuel bowl indeed has an FPR, it's contained in the return outlet. You can replace the outlet housing with a more durable steel one from Bob's O-Rings they come with 3 replacement springs to adjust pressure with - I run the 100psi one.

Additionally gutting the EPBV is simply a bad idea if you live where it drops below freezing, it's the difference between getting to 140f in 3 minutes of operation or 20. I kept mine.

I have an SFX X2 programmer that plugs into my ODB port and downloads one tune at a time. I have a mild street tune (about 60hp I'm told), an economy tune and a tow tune. I mostly just run the street tune. When I'm towing to my ranch in Idaho I use the tow tune, although I tow two or three times a week at about 3 tons with the X here locally just using the street tune.

My transmission was rebuilt by a shop a few doors down from my warehouse and he did all kinds of stuff to it - SD cooler, finned cast pan, solid TC (weighs like 10x the oem one does) and he said he adjusted some stuff to make it pretty bulletproof - drilled some additional oil passages too. I never have trouble towing 3-4 tons at 85mph - not smart, but possible - my trailers are meticulously maintained and have brakes. It''s like they aren't even there. And I cannot get the trans above 150f in the dead of summer no matter what I do now.

Maybe I'm spoiled with the rebuild, but I do not recall having any issues with the OEM transmission until the day it went, even then I limped back to the shop and over to the transmission place.

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a lock up switch in it. But be careful as in stock form line pressuer isnt generally high enough at low rpms to hold lock-up 100%. The stock shift/lock-up strategy sucks in most psd applicatoins, heck even in my 94 IDI. A trans go tugger kit and a properly tuned chip would be the best fix, but with 200k your trans isnt long for this world stock, let alone with a chip.

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also a six speed conversion has been done at least once that I know of in an X. A stick conversion isnt as easy in a superduty/ex as any pre 97 ford. Yoy need to modify the trans tunnel as the zf is about 2in taller.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a ZF6 here.. $950 + freight.

Supposedly new sychros within the last 10k miles. Have no receipts to verify that, just valid word of mouth. Came out of a rolled 02..

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online