Gutting CDR valve?

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed a Banks Sidewinder turbo on the truck. I remember a while ago someone mentioning that they gutted there CDR valve. Good or bad idea/ Or just make a road draft tube?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Why gut it? The only thing it does is prevent a run away engine IF the air intake is restricted. If the air filter or intake system is severely restricted the CDR closes to prevent the engine from sucking oil from the crankcase through the vent and running away until it blows from uncontrolled rpm or seizes because there is no oil left in the pan. It had a diaphragm and a spring. Only possible failure is a ruptured diaphragm which will allow oil to drop out the small hole in the cab. No black magic here.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I asked it as a question. I do not know the exact purpose of the CDR valve. Seams to be like a PCV valve on a gas engine to me. Only use is for PCV is emission. re-burn blowby.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much it.

I'd do the road draft tube.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CDR is a failsafe that shuts crank case vapors from the intake when it runs away, so to me it's pretty important to keep.

Road draft tube would work, but I would recommend a catch can instead! The blowby smell gets annoying after a while in traffic. Besides, a little more top end cylinder lubricant doesn't hurt :)

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided to keep the CDR valve. Bought a new one to install with the Turbo. Thank you for your input.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Oh I am. I see several a year come through my boss's shop and most leak some oil. It's rare that he buys older than 2006.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided to keep the CDR valve. Bought a new one to install with the Turbo. Thank you for your input.

That CDR is the only way for blow-by to get out of the crankcase. The blow-by gets pulled into the intake. With a turbo there is usually at least some positive pressure in the intake, and no gas being pulled from the crankcase.

The valley gasket I used came with a CDR port plug. I added vents to the valve covers and a Mann separator. I have a catch can for the oil and the gas outlet can go to the air intake, the exhaust pipe or a draft tube.

Scan down this album to see the evolution of mine.

https://goo.gl/photos/LJNV4esgmYmSzKdL8