Gutting CDR valve?

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that the non=return valve was supposed to counteract the crankcase pressure. I don't see why you couldn't install it 100mm above the oil level or even rig up something to go into the second, unused dipstick hole.
I think that is what the non-return valve is for. The instructions also say it's a good idea to have it either way that it's installed. I'm unaware of a second dipstick hole. Where is it located? Might come in pretty handy.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm unaware of a second dipstick hole. Where is it located? Might come in pretty handy.
Where ours go into the block, right above the oil pan, it's on the same plane (level?) right above the pan, but it's almost at the front of the block (same side). International applications used this spot. Unfortunately, it's blocked by a round plug (IIRC) like a large BB. Unless you're VERY lucky, the only way I know to get this out is with the oil pan off. This is easily seen when the engine's on a stand, upside down, with the pan off. It looks exactly like the hole that our truck and van dipsticks come throungh into the oil pan from the outside of the block. It's not a huge hole by any means, but I can't see where the returning oil would have a large volume of flow either. It seems like it would just drip occasionally. Not even being a steady trickle unless you had a lot of blowby.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where ours go into the block, right above the oil pan, it's on the same plane (level?) right above the pan, but it's almost at the front of the block (same side). International applications used this spot. Unfortunately, it's blocked by a round plug (IIRC) like a large BB. Unless you're VERY lucky, the only way I know to get this out is with the oil pan off. This is easily seen when the engine's on a stand, upside down, with the pan off. It looks exactly like the hole that our truck and van dipsticks come throungh into the oil pan from the outside of the block. It's not a huge hole by any means, but I can't see where the returning oil would have a large volume of flow either. It seems like it would just drip occasionally. Not even being a steady trickle unless you had a lot of blowby.

I found it earlier this afternoon after reading your post about a second dipstick hole. I might not have ever known it was there If you hadn't mentioned it. I do have it on a stand due to life circumstances bringing this project to a screeching halt. What I might do is punch the ball/plug out and tap the hole then install a compression fitting and slide a tube down to an acceptable depth in the oil pan then lock the compression fitting.