CDR issue

PapiWhitebeard

Reaction score
When I bought my truck the CDR was routed to the road. Lots of smoke so I routed the hose from the oil fill housing in between the air filter and intake. Starting to second guess to decision. I've been told and I've read conflicting opinions. I made a DIY oil can, not very effective. Any suggestions , should I leave it as is or make a better oil can.

PapiWhitebeard

Reaction score
To be clear about what I'm asking. If routing the code to the intake doesn't damage the engine great. If should route it to the road I need a better oil / smoke suppression system.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo or non turbo?
The cdr is normally behind the intake manifold inlet. What you initially described is a road draft tube. That’s fine but “messy”. I’m not clear on what you did from there. Show a pic of your setup, what are your concerns or specific questions about the different methods?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s no problem putting your oil vapor outlet into the engine intake if that’s your question. Here’s mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cdr should feed into a vacuum spot into the intake as close as possible to keep it dry.
Read oil vaper into the turbo inlet or the intake hat...
And welcome.
Pic of rig?

Last edited:

PapiWhitebeard

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 6.9 with a banks turbo tucked behind the intake. The cdr is coming from the oil fill housing in the front . I extended the air filter to intake tube, tapped into that. About 6" from the intake. Yes my main concern is oil build up in the intake. The road draft tube produced too much smoke. I will post a pic later today

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The early banks had the CDR can on the side of the banks filter housing, with a big tube snaked over to the injection pump housing. Do you have the can there? There is a small pin hole in the flat part of the can, it's easy for it to get plugged, then it won't work right.
As for oil in the intake, that's just nature of the beast.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reactions: Clb

PapiWhitebeard

Reaction score
The canister is something I installed yesterday. As you can see it's getting messy under the hood. For about 10,000 miles there has been no canister just the hose. Also there seems to be smoke/oil leaking as you can tell by the hood.

Attachments

• IMG_20230108_144836_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230108_144836_HDR.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 22

PapiWhitebeard

Reaction score
Ahh just saw your post. So what purpose does the can serve. I guessing that something that can be still bought?

PapiWhitebeard

Reaction score
You said nature of the beast and if that's the case I'm good with that. One of the places that seem to be leaking smoke are the bolt holes on the intake. Now that I see Nero's pic I can see what possibly should be there . Is that some kind of cover or is that the turbo with banks labeled on the top. I assumed mine was banks because of lable on the door jam.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cdr has two purposes. To regulator crankcase pressure and to prevent oil from going directly into the intake. The catch can setup I sent does that, the cdr aftermarket pictures and what you sent is essentially doing that. The reason you don’t want a direct hose into the intake is that the engine will burn the oil. It tends to get pulled to one cylinder when the cdr is bad and then that cylinder runs hotter and creates a head gasket failure.

PapiWhitebeard

Reaction score
Ok. So is the CDR and catch can ( like pictured) something that can still be purchased. Is that a factory or after market set up.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The catch can setup I sent is mine, I made it and is not purchasable. The other pictures people sent like Nero came from that providers kit. The picture you sent with the can you added, what’s the problem? Your setup looks fine. Are you looking for confirmation that your setup is okay?

Just don’t melt the can in your manifold and cause a fire.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Your setup is either a second or third gen banks kit. I'm unsure how they have the CDR routed. The CDR is a factory piece for our engines, the turbo kits just relocate them. The catch cans are strictly aftermarket.
As for smoke coming out of a bolt hole... A picture would be nice, if you have a bolt missing from your intake and it's letting boost out, that can cause many other issues.

PapiWhitebeard

Reaction score
The can I have installed is a filter screen for an irrigation system I think. Tractor supply item. I lined the screen with Scotch bright. When I remove the hose the filter seems to have little effect. Before we got started here I was concerned about the smoke and oil going into the intake. Like I said I'm not fully up to speed on how diesels work. If this all normal diesel characteristics I'm good less the smoke leaking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online