group 31's in an obs

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is basically where my starting batteries are mounted.

I have two mounted side-by-side with the batteries parallel to the frame.

Mine sits a bunch higher due to the steel flat having so much more clearance; and, I still have plenty of room to lift the batteries out of the carrier.

Just looking through your pictures got the gears in my head to cookoo turning cookoo .

Due to the sleeper being right there, I don't have the room length-wise to have the long end-to-end carrier such as you made, which would make battery removal/replacement a lot easier than my set-up.

As I already said, my two batteries are side-by-side and PARALLEL to the truck-frame; thus, I have an INSIDE and an OUTSIDE battery.

To remove the INSIDE battery, the OUTSIDE battery must first be dis-connected and removed, quite a heavy annoyance.

After looking at your carrier, I am going to rebuild mine such that the batteries are PERPENDICULAR to the frame; thus, I can slide out either battery without disturbing the other.

Had I not have seen your pictures, the idea may never have occured to me.

Thanks.
;Sweet

turn your batteries the other way.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Nice work! Definitely a HUGE difference in starting between those two videos. To be fair, those little 700 amp batteries you had before aren't quite enough from what I recall. Although I've never had anything less than 900 amp batteries in my rig.

I swear you have a gremlin in there somewhere! Possibly a plug on the way out by how little the WTS light stayed on? My new beru plugs still stay on over 20 seconds if it is down in the teens. Been like that ever since I put them in a year ago!

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0bKyvmoO0 (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLbfldRy2w&feature=related (2011)

:angel:

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
ya idk what is going on there because i burned up a whole set of berus in less than a year and the plugs in the video are like less than 2 months old i think im going to do a controller override .... from what i understand your only susposed to glow for a max of 15 seconds

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
ya idk what is going on there because i burned up a whole set of berus in less than a year and the plugs in the video are like less than 2 months old i think im going to do a controller override .... from what i understand your only susposed to glow for a max of 15 seconds

Yeah, that sounds like there might be something wrong with your controller. If you go to replace the whole controller assembly, you will be looking at about $200 last I checked at ford. :eek:
However, I've been told that you can simply replace the relay that is mounted on the controller with a relay from an 86-87 6.9L. Those go for around $20...I've heard it works for some but haven't ever tried it myself. I kind of favor that idea over a push button though in case someone ever borrows my rig that doesn't know better.
Also, I heard 15 seconds was the max too. Made me a little worried when they went WAY over, but they are still working fine. :dunno

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
I run heavy waste oil in the summer so that might be part of it but I didn't think that would burn them out owell can't change that now im looking into water injection just keep things clean from the waste oil

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan on doing the same thing to my 94 and with the body kit you won't even see them hanging down like yours. And yea midnight, just turn your batts 90 degrees from this = to this II

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And yea midnight, just turn your batts 90 degrees from this = to this II

That's pretty much what I have in mind.

I will have to do some measuring to see if it can be done.

It is not nearly so simple as just turning the batteries; the entire carrier will have to be re-made or just a completely different one built to the new design.
:)

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
If they are g31 it should just be able to be turned. Two of them next to each other is a parfect square almost

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are g31 it should just be able to be turned. Two of them next to each other is a parfect square almost

If it was just one big open space then it would be so easy.

Each battery sits down in it's own angle-iron frame with space between for the tie-down bolts.

These frames will have to be re-oriented.

I wish I had of thought of this during the initial build. cookoo LOL

It ain't no big deal; it just requires me to remove the outside battery before I can remove the inside one.

But, now that it is on my mind, I won't sleep nor eat right until it has been addressed.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
ahh ok. i thought it was just one plate. i plan on making something identical to his here. maybe not the 4/0 wire, but the tray will be damn close.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
We might build another one for my truck once things warm up in the spring... or i might put both batteries on the pass side. Still undecided...