Group 31 batteries in 80-86?

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I never see mentioned is checking the fluid level in a new battery.

I have yet to purchase a new battery that did not need to be topped off with a little distilled water. It's amazing how much longer life and dependability you can get out of your batteries by just checking them before you install them and then at least twice a year afterwards.

I learned this lesson when my first set of three (3) Duralast Marine 27DP-DL Batteries (at the time about $80 ea, now $105 ea) lasted a little over a year. The second set lasted over seven years, two alternators and a starter. I'm three years into my third set now. A little research on the forums goes a long way.

I drive a 91 E350 Shuttle Bus/7.3 IDI. My bus is not used frequently and sits for long periods of time - we use it for tailgating at UofL Football games, about six to seven a year. I try to drive it whenever possible.

I check the fluid level with the seasons/twice a year and keep them charged. A little maintenance goes a long way when it comes to firing up "The Bus".

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Group 31's are the best upgrade for our trucks. I have AC Delco's and they were cheaper than replacement Group 65's. They were under $100 each. The threaded studs are worth it to me even if the battery wasn't stronger.

They fit without modification but you can trim the tray so the battery doesn't sit on the lip.

I run 3/0 wire in all locations. As for crimping, everyone has their way of doing things. Pick the best that suits you. I do not have a crimper so I just solder. This is also better for me because I have multiple trucks and I am always reusing parts. I can quick heat up the terminal, pull it off and reuse it. I've had zero issues with my terminals.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Are you soldering the cables onto copper terminals/lugs? I'm in need of new cables when I convert to that other battery that I mentioned a few posts back

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you soldering the cables onto copper terminals/lugs? I'm in need of new cables when I convert to that other battery that I mentioned a few posts back

I've use both copper and non copper lugs, they both work fine for me.

You must be registered for see images attach