Econoline battery group 65 "conversion"?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The passenger side battery is a weird group number (92 E450 shuttle bus idi). Has anyone moved or modified to just have 2 group 65s?

The one in here now is a group 50-1 and the driver side one is a group 65.

I am so close to getting this pig started! If I do, then rip out seats and turn into a toy hauler

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your batteries are in the front, one on each side of the radiator like the F-250`s, yes the group 65`s fit right in.

Iam using 2 65`s from Costco, think they are 850 CCA. Were installed 9/2019.

Goat

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the vans the passenger side one won't fit in a group 65. It's this super specific shape and size that's a total pain in the bum to get.

The driver side fits the 65, no prob

I have accounts at carquest/advance, worldpac and napa and they have nothing that will fit.

So frustrating!

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa shows one on my end, PN 9150, 66 available. Hold onto your wallet though, as the price is :eek:.

Can you swap a larger tray in, or don't you think there's enough room period?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the chart a group 45 might be close to fitting, and it's a little more available/cost friendly

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you have a shuttle bus, my dad's rv is a 7.3 shuttle conversion, one battery is in the engine bay, the other is under the steps on the curb side.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother has a Sportsmobile 4x4 econoline. both batteries were moved to the frame rail. Kind of a pain to swap them, but a ton of room to run whatever batteries you want.

cant help you with what will fit in the engine compartment, but sounds like the group 45 is a good start. hopefully it has enough juice to turn these beasts over.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a shuttle bus, my dad's rv is a 7.3 shuttle conversion, one battery is in the engine bay, the other is under the steps on the curb side.
It's a shuttle. I'll see if there's room or a passage to move the battery there. That would be so much easier!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I got 65's for mine and put them inside.

That spot on the frame sucked. Everything corroded under there.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Mine's the previous generation but it's supposed to have two different batteries too. But I bought a new pair of 65 batteries for my F250 about two months or so before I got the RV so I moved them to it. i replaced the driver side battery tray with a plastic one from O'Reilly because it was rotted away. 65 fits passenger side though too.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries on the frame can be nice to free up space under the hood. But the only way I'd put a battery on the frame is if it was covered in a good box. The frame mounted batteries that I've worked on that weren't in a box were trashed thanks to corrosion.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Ford's factory frame-mounted battery box wasn't good enough, imho.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I have a '94 UHaul 7.3 that gives me same prob. IIRC, without going to look, pass side is a Group 51 or 31 or something, lots smaller. And both need changing out as we speak. Have to charge up to crank it now.
Not much room on pass side to redo my battery box..... but some day I'm going to somehow. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online