group 31's in an obs

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
sorry i cheated me and chris (matrix) made a frame mount tray for two group 31S's here are the pictures and starting videos before and after enjoy
You must be registered for see images attach

chris welding like a pro with my junk welder

angle and 3/16 plate steel

originally i had planed on running these right behind the FRONT tire but i could not get them tucked up high enough for comfort

i dont like line loss LOL

BIG

the hold downs look nice but they are alittle small and cheaply made but they will hold just fine

chris is brave those batts weight probably close to 75 or 80 pounds each

this video is a cold start video with the old setup

31's

CHRIS add in any pictures you want to

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Oh I see that being a bad idea in my future if that was my setup. I would get them ripped off going through the woods here. I guess the design is somewhat ok, i just wouldnt want to be crawling around on the ground with a connection issue or changing a battery with snow as deep as where the batteries are. Wont be an issue if you try to ford water that deep do you?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Oh I see that being a bad idea in my future if that was my setup. I would get them ripped off going through the woods here. I guess the design is somewhat ok, i just wouldnt want to be crawling around on the ground with a connection issue or changing a battery with snow as deep as where the batteries are. Wont be an issue if you try to ford water that deep do you?

Dude,....Its a 2WD Crew Cab Dually, I am thinking this thing does not see any off road use,...

Looks good Seth, That thing spun right over on the 31's ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
what no drain holes in the tray?:D

looks nice;Sweet might want to paint the tray up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats the key to starting a wel maintained engine. A good tight fuel system, a good glow plug system and cranking fast to make some compression heat. Glad this worked out for you. That first set of batteries seemed to low on cranking amps to really work very well but those second set makes a great differance. I had no idea the group 31 battery came in the lug and the type top you have... This forum reminds me all the time I don't know it al yet...:angel:

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Ya I see ground clearance as being a non issue hopefully im used to low my last daily driver an 87 checy c10 was on airride and had a max ground clearance of 4 inches soo I should be fine .. paint is comming as chris said it was 32 out and neither of us could feel our hands by the time is was all over lol jumpstarting will still be under the hood and the cables should last ... forever I hope but all is accessed fairly easy and a jack aids in lifting the battries into location I can recommend this to everyone because it does require fabrication. So it is not a bolt on afair I know down the road there will be some changes because I will be doing a custom turbo setup that will have a 4 inch downpipe running down the outside of the frame then turning into the stacks just about where the battries are now. But I will cross that road when it comes

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you have air intrusion like I did before moving to the electrical carrier pump. That first glowplug cycle is wasted since the lines are purging the air to the pump.

Mine with the old starter still in it will start up better than that on the first glowplug cycle now.

I didn't notice how bad it was until I installed clear lines in the engine bay when installing the epump. Mine drains back after the truck is off. Something I need to fix but I am waiting until I yank the beds off to redo all of that with the senders.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
I don't think my issue was air as my system held pressure for two days whill doing this but I had inadquite cranking amps and 320k on the motor and possiable 200k on the fuel system

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Thanks everyone chris did alot of the work ... then he broke his truck and I fixed it while he worked on mine lol

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
That starts so much better. Now we need to get you a new pump/injectors and it'll start like mine. :D

More pics:

First, my oops from my truck

More pics of Seth's project:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is basically where my starting batteries are mounted.

I have two mounted side-by-side with the batteries parallel to the frame.

Mine sits a bunch higher due to the steel flat having so much more clearance; and, I still have plenty of room to lift the batteries out of the carrier.

Just looking through your pictures got the gears in my head to cookoo turning cookoo .

Due to the sleeper being right there, I don't have the room length-wise to have the long end-to-end carrier such as you made, which would make battery removal/replacement a lot easier than my set-up.

As I already said, my two batteries are side-by-side and PARALLEL to the truck-frame; thus, I have an INSIDE and an OUTSIDE battery.

To remove the INSIDE battery, the OUTSIDE battery must first be dis-connected and removed, quite a heavy annoyance.

After looking at your carrier, I am going to rebuild mine such that the batteries are PERPENDICULAR to the frame; thus, I can slide out either battery without disturbing the other.

Had I not have seen your pictures, the idea may never have occured to me.

Thanks.
;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online