Obs dash repair and rebuild

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obs dashes have a problem. They fall apart. There isn't enough support on the passenger side which over time causes a breakdown as the plastic deteriorates.

There is only one bolt supporting the passenger side dash framework. Mine was long gone, so no picture, but it is on the right hand side behind the floor kick panel. It is an 8 mm bolt through the cheap plastic framework.

This is a picture of it outside the truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

When this tab breaks off, the rest of the dash isn't far behind.

Luckily, ford put out A repair for this. Unfortunately, proper install requires completely removing the dash.
It's not terrible, but does require some work.

I am not going to go through all the steps to remove the instrument cluster, radio, glove box, and ac controls, because they really aren't that bad.
Some screws, and some tabs and they some off and out. Most of you guys either have gone that far or could readily figure it out. To go farther though, it is a little more complicated.

To get the main dash panel all the way out, you have to remove both of the windshield pillar covers for clearance to lift it out. There are also several 8 mm bolts along the underside that will have to be removed as well as the screws along the bottome of the windshield. There are 3 8mm bolts that have to come off the bottome side of the steering column support, which I found easier to access by dropping the steering column down from its support mounts.

At this time, the dash can start to lift out of its place. It will be held back by the wiring harness that crosses to the passenger side. It is clipped and tucked to the bottome part of the dash and has to be removed before the dash can come all the way out. Once this is done, you will have to somewhat pry the dash up and over the steering column support bracket. Once that is done, it will lift out the passenger side door.

Now, you have the dash out on the ground, you need to separate it into the cover, and the framework(which contains the air ducts). There are several 7mm screws on the side, top, backside, and bottom. Once you find them all, it will separate into the two parts.

This framework is where you have to do all the work for the new support.
This is the repair bracket ford produced to fix this. I found a couple of them on obs dashes from newer trucks than I have. Perhaps 95 and newer. I am not sure if they all have them or not.

I also scavenged a good dash out of a newer obs truck to replace my busted one.

The repair sequence involves cutting off the cheap plastic tab on the passenger side of the dash support and locating the new metal repair bracket. It is riveted from ford, but I screwed mine to the dash support.

Once you install the bracket on the support, it is time to reassemble everything in reverse order.

Put the dash cover over the support, replace the support in the truck. Put in ALL the screws and bolts. Replace all the wiring harness in the various places. Etc...

Here is a picture of the installed repair bracket. This will keep the dash from breaking down on that side and really makes it much stronger.

One thing I did, when I got the replacement parts, is I took all the screws out of it and kept them. This helped me replace all the missing screws from my truck.

Another piece of advice. Go slow. Don't pry too hard. This plastic is old and brittle, but it is made to come apart without too much force. If you think you are about to break it, then you are. Stop and look it over good to see what is holding you up.

I have it all back in and the dash is solid as a rock in there. No shaking and rattling.

Good luck. Ask any questions you may have and I will try to answer them.

Last edited:

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be very interested to know if that was ever put on them from the factory. I've never seen one do that before, but all of the obs's I've been around have been powerstroke's. (And most of them have been used in the wood's, so them got beat on pretty hard.)

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be very interested to know if that was ever put on them from the factory. I've never seen one do that before, but all of the obs's I've been around have been powerstroke's. (And most of them have been used in the wood's, so them got beat on pretty hard.)

I have owned two 1994's - an f150 and my current F350. I had to install that repair bracket on both dashes. I too am curious if Ford finally started reinforcing the dash when the trucks were being built - would have been after 1994 though.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got it all completed. Dash is , almost, good as new. Thanks to idioit finding me a good instrument bezel that wasn't 200 bucks!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i saw that you updated, i said to myself,
" i was supposed to send that guy something!"
glad i already did :D
did you fill the 4 little holes?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. A little black wood putty and paint marker and you can't even see them! Thanks man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88