CAT group 31 batteries and 4/0 battery cables installation

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Group 31's fit in my 84 without modification. But mine is an oddball because I have the core support/radiator and battery trays out of an 89. But IIRC, the pass. side battery tray out of the 89 sat a little higher (about an inch) than the original.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not like 100lbs+ up front on my radiator support and I did not like two batteries either, or the stupid cable, so I fixed it all with one Odessey 2150 battery and one straight length of 2/0 tractor cable, done with a mini starter and my 7.3 spins as if the glow plugs are out! takes 6 seconds to start a cold engine with no glowplug system working...
I mounted the battery under the bed on the passenger side just behind the cab
welded my own battery box and bolted it in using 460 head bolts.
Battery box swings freely if needed.
wont be easy to remove in any kind of hurry LOL!
Javier

http://www.ranchopower.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Picture-0202.jpg

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The important thing to remember is that in addition to cold cranking amps, there is also the issue of time. Batteries are rated in amp hours, so the larger batteries will be able to provide maximum current for a longer time, then a smaller battery. When it gets cold, the current available from a battery is always less, so the bigger the battery, the more likely it will be to deliver sufficient amperage when it's capacity is diminished. Guys like the group 31 batteries, because they pack a larger punch for a longer time, under more severe circumstances.

ah ha! now were talking, so this would be a good upgrade for people who have lots of amps drawing for things like snowplowing? got the plow, lights, strobes, backups all running at below 2k rpm these batteries should help

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the write up! I am going to be making some cables pretty soon, just have to find the lugs (auto parts stores around here don't have them big enough). I've also got a pair of crimpers I can borrow... it would seem that the same welding shop might be able to crimp the lugs for you if you knew exactly the lengths... maybe even cut them and everything and just have them crimp.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a boating supply store (West Marine or similar) near you, you might give them a look for stud-terminal lugs. That's where I got most of my hardware when I made my cables...was in a hurry at the time and wasn't able to take many pictures, though.

FWIW a big flathead screwdriver and a BFH can be used to crimp the connectors...that's how I did all of mine. Sealed them up with Noalox, crimped them, and put on some good quality heatshrink, and all's well 5 years later (including 3 years on the coast) ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i guess u couldnt lower the battery tray any?

Not without more modification work than I wanted to do.

I pondered looking around a semi junk yard to see what kind of battery trays I could find, but decided against that.

I plan on installing a 2" body lift in the very near future, so that should take care of the lack of space problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Staff online