Greetings fellow IDI owners :)

Grendel

Reaction score
I just thought I should introduce myself. I am Jonathan “Grendel” Flint and I own a truck with the 7.3L IDI diesel in it. I hope I am in the right place ;)

I found this forum off a search for 7.3L IDE Turbo search I did on the internet a couple weeks ago. So eventually I registered and have pretty much been lurking and reading. I like to educate myself before posting as there usually already threads addressing the questions you intend to ask and it saves time and headache if you take the time and search the forum. I’m very happy I found this forum and the populace seems very friendly and helpful. I look forward to many conversations in the future.

Here is what I own and love:
1993 Ford F350 XLT 4wd Crew Cab SRW with the 7.3L IDI diesel Black in color with a couple inches of lift and riding of 35” Hoosier All Terrains. I purchased this truck in 2000 with ~60K miles on it. It is essentially bone stock with the exception of helper springs and replacement block for the rear axle. I have had to do very little to this rig except replace water pump, glow plugs, belt and recently fuel lines on top of the motor. I currently have a little less the 125K miles on her and look forward to tinkering on her and getting many more miles over the years. She does duty hauling building materials for my home projects, boat towing, hauling trash to the dump and soon hauling a Lance 915 camper.

I had recently planned on selling her and buying a newer PSD F350 but after looking at her long attractive lines [i.e. still looks like a truck not a pretty boy dressed up newer truck] and the fact my yearly taxes on her went down to $21.00 this year, I decided to keep her. I am currently working on a new garage/shop and soon as that is over I have some work planned for my truck:
  1. Rebuild the fuel injection system. I’ve developed an air leak and they are the original injectors
  2. Rebuild/replace fuel pumps [interested in the MOOSE PUMP ;)]
  3. ATS turbo with modded PSD intercooler [already scavenged :D]
  4. 4” exhaust to help out with EGT
  5. Front suspension and steering gear needs overhauling. To include shackle reversal
  6. NEW Poly bushings all around [figure if I’m tearing apart the suspension may as well get it all done]
  7. New Wheels and tires getting tired of the 16.5” wheels and my poor tired Hoosiers need replacing.
  8. New paint/window seals/glass/window regulators [ all in pretty rough shape]
Some things I’m looking into:
  1. Propane injection looking for improved mpg and more importantly lower EGT when hauling heavy weight off road and up hills.
  2. York Compressor for air source
  3. Air Bag helpers for rear end [help with Pick-up Bed Camper]
  4. Convert Rear Axle to disc breaks
  5. Hydraulic steering modification

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a very nice intro, and welcome to the forum. ;Sweet Does she have a name? Don't forget to creat a signiture for yourself. We'd like to see a reminder of what you have in future posts.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sounds like you are on the right track for what you want to do. Welcome to OB ;Sweet

Like Mel said, if you fill your sig out it helps a lot of people to know what you have to refer you to different things. Also, if you want you can post some pics up of your truck, we all like seeing them ;Sweet

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I agree with Agnem, excellent intro! And a big welcome to OilBurners. I'm pretty new my self to, but already I feel at home on this great forum. :D You'll learn something new everyday!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to have you on board here. there is plenty of help here just waiting to be asked but.... There are no dumb questions. You may have no idea whats going on and need to ask something simple for others to answer. Just remember... Most came to this site just like you. I learn something new here all the time. Its really amazeing how much information is available here.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, that is a good intro! I feel kinda silly now thinking back to my first post.

Best I can figure is this might very well be the best forum for IDI ford diesels on the web and I don't say that lightly.

Welcome!!;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dang, that is a good intro! I feel kinda silly now thinking back to my first post.

Best I can figure is this might very well be the best forum for IDI ford diesels on the web and I don't say that lightly.

Welcome!!;Sweet

I think my first thread was about how to bore a diesel out to get more displacement :rotflmao...gasser thinking way back when LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
welcome to the site.

As said don't worry about posting questions because you think they might be simple because what I have found is that a lot of times when you post a question there is always someone else who has the same question so it ends up getting two people help and the other one hadn't posted yet. And that is why forums like this are around - is to get questions answered.

You are correct in that we have a good group of people here - it's almost like family and in many cases I count guys on here as close friends even that damn Ron guy with the blue trucks (why I don't know but I do)....

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought I should introduce myself. I am Jonathan “Grendel” Flint and I own a truck with the 7.3L IDI diesel in it. I hope I am in the right place ;)

I am currently working on a new garage/shop and soon as that is over I have some work planned for my truck:
  1. NEW Poly bushings all around [figure if I’m tearing apart the suspension may as well get it all done]

Welcome! You are definitely in the right place:D I have scoured the web and this is the best source of information I have found for any type of IDI repair or modification that I have found.

Polyurethane bushings tend to be noisey and unforgiving in everyday use. Unless your competing with your truck I wouldn't recomend them myself. Just get some good quality MOOG bushings. I know that's contrary to a lot of popular belief and magazine talk, just my 2 cents. This is a great site! A lot of good people and invaluable information.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct in that we have a good group of people here - it's almost like family and in many cases I count guys on here as close friends even that damn Ron guy with the blue trucks (why I don't know but I do)....

Who are you to speak? You drink limp wristed european coffee creamer! :sly

LOL

Grendel

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the welcome. Once I get possession of the family camera [wife hogs it] I'll get a picture of my girl in my signature with some details for future ref.

As to name for my rig I tend to use "Big Girl", "Old Girl", "She",...etc. Now my wife calls her "The Beast" so I guess she really does not have a name.

I'll consider not using poly bushing as the original bushings have lasted since 1993 I guess OEM might be just good enough :)

I am actually excited about tearing into the old girl. I forgot how much I missed working on automotive projects and scrounging junkyards. While I'm far from a diesel mechanic [electronics engineer ;)] I have worked on and maintained my vechicles my whole life [ex-farmboy] and in bygone years was quite an avid off roader and did all my own work. So I look forward to a new adventure learning about and working on my own IDI truck project. My main goal for performance upgrades for my truck is to gain modest improvement to help with hills and off road while carrying a camper, while maintaining good reliablility. I'm hoping an intercooled turbo will help with the lugging up hills and maybe some propane injection to help with EGT. I don't mind slowing down some on the hills but I'd prefer not to get passed by RVs on them. I guess I'll see and I definitely will listen you any advice you guys want to give. I'm definitely not looking to make a "Hot Rod" ;) though if that happens I'll not complain :D

Again thanks for the welcome and I really look forward to the conversations in the future.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Welcome Jonathan, great intro!;Sweet

Yeah as you can see there's a great group of guys here, some clothed, some not, but life exists hapily here and yep, like Trav said we're all frineds one way or another.

Now if ya need something painted blue, I'm the guy you need to see.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel