Governor spring

gcf330

X
Reaction score
I am adding trans temp and egt gauges next week and after that homeade intake and a decent exhaust then turning up the pump a little. I am interested in replacing the governor spring with a 6.2 spring. My question is, how ******* the engine is 4000 rpms which is what i understand the 6.2 is governed at. is this a fairly safe mod. not like i would be running at 4000 continuous but be nice to have have the extra rpm. Also will this affect the
E4OD Trans adversly, and is there usable power at that rpm.

DragRag

Reaction score
Mine pulls good to 400 rpm no problem. No sense in going any more then that or maybe a touch more. I use the rpm's for towing heavy.

DragRag

Reaction score
Nope, 5 speed. You will have to manually shift it if you want to use the higher rpm range, or the trans will shift it for you much earlier without regard to your gov spring.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALways wanted to do that to mine, with the NP, the 3.73's and the 40's.. it had a spot near shift points, where higher rpm would have helped.. Fully comprehending out of the ssweet spot.. I just needed the r's to get it fast enough (road speed) in 3rd, to hold desired speed in 4th. Been two months since Ihave driven it, but I want to say I grabbed 3rd at the liniter nearing 60~.. 70 would have been nice.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4000 might be ok but it is far above design parameters. I think we've found that valves floating is the weakpoint and that starts around 4200. It can be a safe mod but be careful. Dyoung14 has torture tested his trucks doing this and they survived it for awhile anyway. Bumping the governed RPM at least used to be part of Ken's formula on the DPS pump but I don't think he went over around 3800 or 3850 maybe, that is 500 up from Ford specs and 1150 over IH. The fueling and timing curves matter a lot here, so it is different with a Moose or DPS beast, needless to say an IH low rpm pump.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Some factory ford pumps are 3800, i have 2 pumps that have never been touched and are origanal and will run 3800 all day, one of the pumps will actually creep to 4000 if held long enough,

The spring i installed in drag rags pump use to allow me to tach 4500 rpm before it would cut out:D i liked it, im going to have to buy me another one

DragRag

Reaction score
Is there any useable power at this rpm

Mine is boosting about 11.5 pounds, and still pulling hard at 4000rpm, so yes is the short answer. Problem with the 088 turbo is it turns on at about 2700 rpm real well, and then you are out of RPM before you know it. With the 6.2 spring, that problem is no longer there. Ya, i can rev to 4500, but I really only push it to a max of 4200, and have no valve float what so ever. My engine is fairly worn, so I don't mind pushing a bit harder then most do. I figure the engine at this point has given all it should have given in mileage already. I'm just wondering why it hasn't given up after the punishment I throw at it. I have towed at 32000 lbs total up big grades screaming this engine at high RPM's in first gear doing a total of 19 mph. I just figure when it goes is when it goes. This engine is a hanger though, it will not give up. I have two 7.3's with low low miles, and an overhauled 6.9 waiting in the wings, not sure which is going in yet.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Mine is boosting about 11.5 pounds, and still pulling hard at 4000rpm, so yes is the short answer. Problem with the 088 turbo is it turns on at about 2700 rpm real well, and then you are out of RPM before you know it. With the 6.2 spring, that problem is no longer there. Ya, i can rev to 4500, but I really only push it to a max of 4200, and have no valve float what so ever. My engine is fairly worn, so I don't mind pushing a bit harder then most do. I figure the engine at this point has given all it should have given in mileage already. I'm just wondering why it hasn't given up after the punishment I throw at it. I have towed at 32000 lbs total up big grades screaming this engine at high RPM's in first gear doing a total of 19 mph. I just figure when it goes is when it goes. This engine is a hanger though, it will not give up. I have two 7.3's with low low miles, and an overhauled 6.9 waiting in the wings, not sure which is going in yet.

My old engine held it for a long time, and still ran beautifully, i never floated the valves with it for sure in this engine, but on my first engine there were a few members that were sure that i floated them once in a video, only thing was it never happened again:dunno

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
valve springs if you wanna do it more,

otherwise IIRC the pump starts cutting fuel off when it gets close to governed, so raising it to 4000 and only going 3500 like usual might get you more fuel at the rpm. if I understand correct :dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
On the dyno, the power on these IDI's start to fall off quickly after 3000RPM.:dunno

Heath

I would like to see if thats actually the case with a pump with the spring put it in, because it sure dont feel that way from inside the truck, im sure dragrag will tell you the same, IIRC he gained 2psi of boost because of more rpm

FordGuy100

Reaction score
As the pump gets close to the governed rpm, what ever it is, the spring starts to either compress or expand, I dont remember. Anyways, what happens at that point is that the amount of fuel the IP puts out (mm^3/1000strokes) decreases substantially. This will usually start happening a couple hundred rpms before the governed rpm, and get worse (ie, less fuel output) as you get closer to the governed rpm.

Basically you get to an rpm that the spring starts compressing or expanding and starts cutting fuel down. At the govenor it really cuts fuel output, but as you approach fuel output will decrease.

Edit:

Thats just govenor spring/IP fuel output function. These engines werent designed for high output at high rpm's, non of the compenents were designed that way (look at the cam for instance). Just saying.

Last edited: