Votes: 13 65.0%
  • 6.5/6.2 GM

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIoit,

EXACTLY SO. = When the 1990 F250 (that was stolen on 20JUL17) was to be "returned to stock", I would have had a total of about 5,000.oo invested in it & would have expected it to last me for the rest of my life.

Fwiw, I know a fellow here in town who has more than that just in "upgrades" to his 2016 (> 60,000.oo new) Ford pickup.

yours, satx

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i picked 4 in your poll. i picked ALL 4 of the mechanical diesels you listed. they all have their ups and downs. being your in AZ, rust isnt bad so any of them can be found. but all three brands mechanical diesels(gm PRE 94) are cheap, reliable easy to fix.

IH_Diesel

Reaction score
\

best reason to steer clear of it...

LOL
Haha ha.
Nope. I mean they all have some issues.
But in my experience, Ford's were the least expensive and easiest to fix when a problem did arise.
Of course lots of there are lots of other factors.
But for me Ford diesels are the safest bet.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha ha.
Nope. I mean they all have some issues.
But in my experience, Ford's were the least expensive and easiest to fix when a problem did arise.
Of course lots of there are lots of other factors.
But for me Ford diesels are the safest bet.

guess im just confused.
when did ford build a diesel?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only bad part of the IDI is the packaging..

Sorry all I am die hard GM but cant argue with the International 7.3 IDI. Built like a tank. Cheap and easy to work on.

Parts are super cheap. Decent power is attainable.

Got nothing bad to say about the Navistar.

powerstroke- too expensive for repair
Cummins -Every flatbiler wants one so they are expensive to buy.
Duramax-Good engine. Awesome transmission all put on a crappy IFS front end.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gunz,

According to The Government Accounting Office's own "bean-counters", LESS than HALF of the taxpayer's money that ODUMBO gave to GM/Chrysler was actually paid back. The more than other half was "forgiven".====> The Mainstream media just plain LIED about that, as the media has about so many "leftist DIMocRAT rip-offs" of the taxpayers.
(IF "the mainstream media" claims that it's usually DARK at midnight, best go outside & see for yourself.)

Since the HUNDREDS of KNOWING LIES that ABC, CBS, CNN & NBC told about the war in Desert Shield/Desert Storm, I've believed NOTHING that they claimed, absent documentary PROOF from a neutral source.

just my OPINION, satx

IH_Diesel

Reaction score
IH_Diesel,

Can you tell me HOW the early PS diesels have more creature comforts than the 1992-93 IDI trucks??
(I would rate my old 1993 IDI as equally comfortable as ANY stock PS pickup & it was MUCH easier to maintain/work on. Further, the IDI engine is easy to run for a very long time on "French fry grease". Had it not eventually "rusted out" from the salt when I was stationed "up North" with the Army, I'd still be driving it.)

yours, satx

Sorry I missed this post.
My PS has more comfortable seats. Less wind noise. Better a.c. and heat, think the fan works better.
Its only an opinion though. I don't hesitate to take the 86 idi when we need to.

Any of these Ford/IH trucks are pretty solid. In my opinion!

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IH_Diesel,

I like the old IDI/F250 well enough that I'm about to buy a FOURTH one. = A one-owner 1992 extended cab XLT with ZF transmission & 157,000 original miles.
(IF this one doesn't get totaled/stolen as my 1986/1990 PUs were, I expect it to last me the rest of my life.)

Fwiw, I'm looking for a turbocharger to fit this one & a separate Gear Vendors OD unit, too.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mis-spoke, mine is actually an E350 and for whatever reason they are in high demand out in CA and I did put a new GV overdrive in it just before it gave up. Even with all that, the vehicle owes me NOTHING. I just can't decide between a repower and parting it for all the good bits.

What is a gv overdrive?
Thanks.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online