Going ALL OUT... C6 to ZF conversion while rebuilding the engine!

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just need some help figuring out this clutch linkage, this is what I got from the yard
You must be registered for see images

Unfortunately it was the only 80-86 ford manual in the yard and the master was gone already. I dont even see a place to put a rod or anything in the pedal. What am I missing? :confused:

Can I grab parts from a 87+? is the firewall the same?

This is what I think I know so far.
The 4x4 ZF is a bolt in, no driveline mods needed.
I need the ZF center hump
I need this... http://www.clutchcityonline.com/dualMassFlywheel.htm
I got to add a clutch pedal (duh) this seems to be the hard part.

advise?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm not a expert so I will be correct if wrong but here's what I think I do know you can get a new mc cheaper at Orilleys and im pretty sure that what you got wont work cause it would be for a t19 the 87 would be where you need your parts from the clutch pedal well that's a bixxh I've done it in cars not our truck so not sure that will help you the zf you got needs to be a 4x4zf5 to work and and if a 4x4 conversion the motor mounts change positions I wanna convert mine but it's alot of dough for just the parts

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That assembly you have laying there in the grass... flip it over. There should be a bell crank on the opposite side which is what the push rod from the master cylinder that you need to buy fits on. It will be a short lever with a pin on it.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh man I feel dumb haha. We stared at that pedal for like 30 min trying to figure out where you would put the rod. Ill check it out tonight.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know either brand but I just did mine a yr back and it was like 775 but a good one so that's not a badd price I wouldn't think it would be junk probley ok I would say if it's a fairly mild build it would work good

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

yup, there it is. Looks like the new master comes with a new rod so I guess we are good.

Anything else I need to know? I think it should be mostly bolt in.
That pin is quite worn...that is a bad situation only going to get worse...either go to Ford and get a replacement Arm that bolts on in place of the one with the worn pin...or do the Heim joint mod to it whilst it's easy!...

JM2CW

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the LUK Single Mass flywheel and clutch conversion. It's not that much and you'll be thankful. It's a stronger smoother clutch than stock, gets rid of the DM flywheel and just make life simpler.

That linkage will bolt in. You *should* have the bolt holes for the slave center bunched already, look just inboard of the brake booster.

Definitely replace that linkage pin. Make sure you get a couple spare plastic bushings too. The cylinder pushrod will slip off when you least expect it cause you to drop the clutch. It's not fun and could be very dangerous if it happened at the wrong time.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF5 is bolt in, yes, but the crossmember will have to move aft about 1".

The 87+ firewall is the same, but the dash is different and the later clutch / brake petal frame will not fit. It may with the 87 steering column as well, i can't remember for sure.

You can get aluminum cylinders for these, I think Napa or carquest sells them. I like that much better than the plastic stock junk.

I've done this swap twice, feel free to ask any questions you have.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF5 is bolt in, yes, but the crossmember will have to move aft about 1".

The 87+ firewall is the same, but the dash is different and the later clutch / brake petal frame will not fit. It may with the 87 steering column as well, i can't remember for sure.

You can get aluminum cylinders for these, I think Napa or carquest sells them. I like that much better than the plastic stock junk.

I've done this swap twice, feel free to ask any questions you have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online