Glow plugs

Mr_B

Reaction score
I know everyone says to get beru plugs instead of champion or autolite and other and I know the reasons, my question is were do you get the beru glow plugs? Is that a stealership only item?:dunno

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
O'Reilys still carries them. I still get a supply from there from time to time. They have to be ordered though.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I must be the only one with no GP issues, I put 3 used ones in almost a year ago when I got the truck and haven't had one go bad since. I have more good used ones here for spares.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, your actually pretty typical. The 7.3s seem to be able to get good life out of the glow plugs especially if they are Beru/Motorcraft. Wellman and Delphi do alright too, but Berus seem best. I finally ahd to replace one not to long ago, and the other 7 are still good. They have seen lots of starts as I drive this truck every day mostly in town, I converted to the 7.3 style system in 10/04, so that plug lasted better than 3 years and all the rest are still good as I say.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to change yours stock is quite good on the 7.3s. The 6.9s until 87 had a different system, latching relay, temperature switch, worked great until the relay stuck open, then it would burn ALL the glow plugs out. You've probably fixed a few of those in your line of work, that's why I upgraded to the 7.3 stock system.

Mr_B

Reaction score
I've called several different places and they don't seem to know the answer and I have looked through the forums search and I can't find the answer either. Are beru and "motocraft" plugs the same thing? I called my local auto parts place and they have "original equipment" "motocraft" glow plugs but I don't wont to buy those if they are not "beru" plugs that every one raves about. Besides, I don't want to be the guy pulling my heads for putting in champion or some other stupid plug.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Although of course, Motorcraft is free to source from whomever, I don't recall anyone ever reporting that a Motorcraft plug was not from Beru.