Getting VERY pissed. No go camber sleeve.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Who ever it was that said, Oh I just use a hammer to remove the ball joints, has brown eyes.
Yea maybe to pop the knuckle loose after you remove the camber sleeve, but HTH do you get the camber sleeve out? And I'll hunt you down if you just say, use ball joint removing tool 810-3010B-blablabla to pull it out.

I need help fast. Its starting to get dark and we're ready to liquid wrench the piece of crap out of there.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loosen the upper ball joint nut until it's off the camber sleeve, and hit the camber sleeve with a chisel tip on an air hammer. Works like a champ for me.

If I didn't have an air hammer, or I had lots of rust under my truck, I'd be inclined to let it soak in PB blaster or Kroil for a few days before I tried whacking the snot out of it with a BFH...

Ryan

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
well the nuts all the way off the upper ball joint. But how do you mean hit it with a chisel tip?
I have an air hammer (a GOOD one) and been punching the crap out of it with a punch bit, but it wont moove. The thing is so rusted the lock ring and washer just broke appart. So we're guessing we're going to have to pick a new one up.

I did find out what the D81-3010B tool is, its a BF tuning fork. 1-7/16 spread.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the rust is gonna make it hard. Have you pointed some fire at it yet? Sometimes getting the sleeve good and hot, then quenching it with a bucket of water will cause it to pop loose...

Ryan

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you pulling the camber sleeves for a reason, or just doing balljoints? I can't say for a 2wd, but, on a 4x4, there's no reason to pull the sleeves if you're just doing balljoints. What I usually do if I'm changing the sleeves is remove the knuckle and use a ball joint press to press them out, they tend to be dang near impossible to get out otherwise.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The ball joint was rusted into the sleeve so badly that it had to be removed. Now we cant figure out what degree sleeve it was. Went to the parts house figuring it was stock 0 and its not so we ran back. Got there what was apparently 12 minutes after closing time, but everyone was standing outside with the doors open still. So my dad runs up and explains we got the wrong part and had what was left of the old one, and asked if we could please go in and get the right part since we'd driven 35 miles back into town. The female employee said, sorry we're closed, and kept puffing her cigarette and took a drink of her beer. My dad explained again with a little frustration and she said dont talk to me, talk to (this other guy). He looked at my dad and said, no can do, better luck next time, all the computers are shut off and its now 15 minutes after closing time. But you can come in when we open at 6 tomorrow morning.
At this point I walk up because I was still shutting the truck off. I was like whats the problem, my dad explained what was going on and I was too pissed to try and talk to them. So I just grabbed my dads shoulder and said lets go I guess I'll have to bring it in tomorrow after I get off work.
They looked at me like we were being completely out of line by asking them to walk back into the open store and help us out.

We spend over $3000 a year at this place buying parts for friends and ourselves. I think what they did was completely out of line. I mean seriously. Here you have a customer thats driven 35 miles into town for one specific reason of getting the right part and you're going to tell him SORRY come back tomorrow! ***!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees... Your are really lucky that they were even there. Around the places I shop the doors go closed before closing time thats usually posted. Nobody will even look up to see you at the door needing help. It may be time to spend your money elseware but tell the owner why your taking the business somewhere else. That'll get somebody fired for sure. When I'm all fed up with a business the management knows why and I'm really nice about it. Calling names is not going to prove a point. I have posted plenty of ****** deals I have been had with..... I sometimes feel I'm wearing a welcome mat on my back.....

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would have walked right in the store and stood at the counter. They could have exchanged the part and deal with the computer paperwork the next day. Some places I have dealt with stayed open later as I called them and told them I was on the way.

One guy even stayed 45 minutes after closing time. I was stuck in traffic and called him to let him know. It's people like that I will do business with again and recommend them to others.

What was the name of the parts store you dealt with that gave you the attitude?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better yet, post the name, address, and phone number, then print out this page and show them the damage they did. It was unexcusable if they had time to kill and hang around in the parking lot, they should have let you in. It's a different story if they aren't there, but they were, so they should have been "partners" in your repair, instead of an encumberance. :backoff

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
Vote with your wallet, and personally let the owner know your feelings. That is the only way businesses notice. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I feel what You say too and it isn't advance or autozone bc if that is the case the only damage You can cause is not spending Your money there. Hope is not the only one near You either. It really sucks when the employees don't care for the hand that feeds them, happened to Me before, I'm sure it will happen again.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7