Getting harder to start. Slow cranks then faster cranks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes. The 9050 is for IDIs while the 9051 is for the 7.3PSD. I think that I remember seeing someone on here say that you can use the 9051 on a IDI, but you can't use the 9050 on a PSD. I won't swear to that and I also think that it's best to just use the "right" one for the application.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep.

But the only difference I can see in the starters is that the 9051 has a spacer, and might even come with new bolts...

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is this an error? This normal style one says gear reduction too:

Fitment databases are a joke, at least for vans. The PM 9050 IDI one says it won't fit my 85 E-350 IDI.

Last edited:

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the vehicle fit. That looks like a starter for a gas engine.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Check the vehicle fit. That looks like a starter for a gas engine.

Nope. I just double checked, the only thing it fits is Ford IDIs:

When my truck's starter literally broke years ago, I had it towed to a shop. The initial ones they were getting from the parts house were the kind without the cone and it confused them because the one it had in it had the cone. It took 3 tries to get one like it had. I don't think the other ones would even work, or maybe they didn't try installing it since it looked so much smaller and different.

The one on my truck:

The one on my RV:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Cubey, the one that shown is in your link is the long Mitsubishi style starter. Yes it is a gear reduction starter. All of the IDI starters were gear reduction starters except for the AC Delco starters that were used on the early 6.9s. Those were direct drive. The Nippendenso style starters like the Power Master are often the only ones called "gear reduction" starters even though it's incorrect.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Cubey, the one that shown is in your link is the long Mitsubishi style starter. Yes it is a gear reduction starter. All of the IDI starters were gear reduction starters except for the AC Delco starters that were used on the early 6.9s. Those were direct drive. The Nippendenso style starters like the Power Master are often the only ones called "gear reduction" starters even though it's incorrect.

Well, O'Reilly calls the ones I have gear reduction, so at least they have something right for once.

One would think the the "long" Mistubishi ones would be best because they have a 3.4kW rating, while the Nippondenso ones are only 2.5kW. Higher draw = faster spinning of the engine?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that the Nippendenso starters spin the engine over faster than any of the others do. If you hear one in action, you'll be able to tell the difference. My guess is that the ND starters have a different gear reduction ratio and they don't need to draw as much power to spin faster. Whatever the reason, I know that I'm not going back to the Mitsubishi style starters on my trucks after having just one ND style. There's really that much difference.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this 9050 is a "nippondenso style"?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I know that the Nippendenso starters spin the engine over faster than any of the others do. If you hear one in action, you'll be able to tell the difference. My guess is that the ND starters have a different gear reduction ratio and they don't need to draw as much power to spin faster. Whatever the reason, I know that I'm not going back to the Mitsubishi style starters on my trucks after having just one ND style. There's really that much difference.

I'll definitely keep that in mind whenever my RV starter goes.

I dug up this old thread from 10 years ago talking about it:

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/difference-between-a-mitsubishi-starter-and-nippodenso.46051/

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you want to experiment, buy one of the Chinese ND style starters to try before buying the Power Master. The Chinese ones are about half price. My Chinese starter has actually been working fine for 3 1/2 years now. I do worry a little about it's service life though.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hmmm... something to keep in mind, from that old thread:

My RV has an unknown age Mitsu starter and a pair of 3 year old Walmart batteries (little use in 2020 though) and starts nicely, so I'll probably stick to Mitsu if/when it comes time to replace.