Gear Vendors In And Running Fine

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So, today I finally finished the GV installation. I used the synthetic gear oil GM 12346190. It looks like clear trans oil. Kinda hard to get it into the small hole......:D Anyway the test run went great. I now have an 8 speed BTS trans.....:thumbsup: :love: Tomorrow we will see how double overdrive works on the freeway. Something really interesting too. The truck accelerates smoother and the really slight vibration under power is gone. I had about 100,000 miles on the drive shaft so maybe some of the u-joints were subject. It sure is nice now.....:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bought it new for the warranty. Plus most of the ones I found on Evilbay were from a GM turbo hydro 400 trans... Plus they didn't have any kind of warranty either on ebay.Shipped to my door was $3276.14. I'm only around 123 miles from the factory. I actually got a deal. I was going to drive down and pick it up but. If they shipped it to me the tax was less so it cost me about 27.00 to ship. I couldn't drive there and back for that amount even in my 98 Accord. It feels like another gear. I have only driven it about 5 miles so it will get used tomorrow. The E4OD I have is the BTS trans. It will really complement that nicely. I actually have 8 forward gears... First, then first over. Then second and second over. Then thrid and then third over. Then 4th or as some call it overdrive, then 4th over or in this case double overdrive... Thats all 8 of them. They do offer an overdrive cancel wireing setup. They shipped that part to me but they told me not to install it. If I do plug it in the gear splitting will only work when the od lite is on and it wont have the double overdrive at all.... I really would rather have a standard trans with 8 or 10 forward gears but.... The wifey is shiftless... In more ways than one.....:rolleyes:

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if i got one with the c6 i would have 6 speeds, instead of the 3 speeds?

is the doug nash equal, better or worse than the GV units?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Good deal getting that thing up and running ;Sweet
The vibration going away might also have someting to do with your new driveshaft length and running empty. Either way, so long as it works, who cares :D

I can't remember on those laycocks, is that fill hole about the same size as a boat outdrive? I've got a couple of laycocks laying around here , but they're not anyplace where I can get to them easily.
Just wondering if one of those boat fill adapters would make it easier next time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Doug Nash and US gear are the lesser of the three but... They are good units. The GV is clutch actuated and the other two are direct gear ingagement type. They tend to clunk more and are a bit noisier. If the GV breaks all you loose is the gear splitting... If the others break your dead on the road... I can't afford that with expensive horses going to a show... The fill hole is about 1/2 or 5/8 inch diameter. I'll look into the outdrive fill adapter... Thanks, I'll need it in about 15,000 miles cause I'm running the GM 12346190 synthetic fluid... At $25.00 a quart. I needed 38 oz for the first fillup... I bought 3 quarts for later needs... You know the old spare parts are good parts to have laying around....:D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
GV likes to make people think that all you can loose is the splittng, but that's just not true. There's a few situations that can happen internally with those things that will leave you dead in the water. I've had it happen on a few cars, and if you do some poking around on the web you'll find quite a few folks who have have the newer GV units go completely TU on their pickups and motorhomes ( some of them darn near brand new ). Doubtful that it will happen while under warranty, but when it does it's easy to rebuild the things. so you don't have to spend a gazillion dollars sending the thing back to GV for rebuilt unit. It's just a handful of special orings and some gaskets and a special wrench that you'll have to fabricate, or you can get them from a few places. There's a guy in Kansas City who sells parts for the things, real reasonable.
You won't get any info on fixing the things from GV, but no worries, you'll find what you need here
Along with some great troubleshooting info on this page where it references M46 and laycock. The '86-95 volvo m46 trannys had the same P type laycock that you have under your truck ( except the volvo unit has a better cone clutch ( and this is according to a source at GV , they were forced to change the material due to environmental regs, so if your cone clutch ever folds, hit the volvo boneyard for a tailsection and... :D ) If you notice on those pages a guy named Duane Hoberg there should be some links to contact him, if not, I have his email around here somewhere, he sells parts for those things, including the ever elusive orings for the inside of the solenoid so you can rebuild that turkey instead of dropping $160 for a new one
This place also sells light rebuild kits
You do need a special recessed pin spanner like this to replace some of the orings in the thing. I imagine you could fabricate one pretty easy, just keep in mind those things can be tight and you don't want to tear up the holes on those retainer caps .

Just some more ideas for things to throw behind the seat :D

If you don't already have it, you might want to look into getting Good Sam emergency road service, that will tow you unlimited miles to the nearest authorized service center or something similar. Seeing the terror tales involved with GV customer service is what really was the deal killer for me on putting one in my truck. If it craps out, it's up to you to get the thing to the nearest GV authorized service center to get it repaired, and those places are few and far between. That one has broke a few people.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Towcat has mentioned he broke one once. Everything can be broken. By and large though, I don't recal anyone here having one go belly up on them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The freeway test run was great. At 1500 rpm I'm doing 75 mph in double overdrive and not lugging at all. The truck really runs quite at that rpm too. I'm sure the two layers of Fat Mat really helped keep the road noise down too. Looks like my best gear for pulling steep grades will be second over. Thats a 4.22 gear final drive. then third straight, then third over. There will be no forth over pulling grades...:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Towcat has mentioned he broke one once. Everything can be broken. By and large though, I don't recal anyone here having one go belly up on them.
yup
had one break at the input shaft right at the "jog" for the oil pump connecting rod. GV was more than happy to sell me a rebuilt unit for $350.
truck?
1987 chev 1ton service truck. see sig.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Congrats on the Install! I think that the BTS with a GV is the ultimate bullitproof setup. (for autos) Gives you double overdrive when not towing and the choice of 3 different overdrives when you are towing.

That is the only thing I would like different on my truck is to have double overdrive. But it is good for now.

Never had a breakdown in 6 years with my GV, and am pretty shure it has been on the truck a long time before I have had it also.

How are you shifting and splitting the gears?

Here is how I am doing it:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2121477700101950171hPpJBW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... I have a darn bench seat... And it needs to be recovered.... I did want that same setup you have but maybe I will design something for my colume shifter. For now things are just peachy....:D

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Congrats on the Install! I think that the BTS with a GV is the ultimate bullitproof setup. (for autos) Gives you double overdrive when not towing and the choice of 3 different overdrives when you are towing.

That is the only thing I would like different on my truck is to have double overdrive. But it is good for now.

Never had a breakdown in 6 years with my GV, and am pretty shure it has been on the truck a long time before I have had it also.

How are you shifting and splitting the gears?

Here is how I am doing it:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2121477700101950171hPpJBW

Darrin you got more pictures of that center?is it home made or bought? I've got to have one of those!:thumbsup: