Gear reduction starter, starts like a new truck

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be old news to most, but I didn't see it anywhere in the hard to start threads.

I burnt out my starter this weekend trying to start in the snow, bumped it and drove 170mi back to work and got a ride home (.4mi, worst commute ever, truck takes longer to warm than to get to workLOL) threw a gear reduction starter in it and the truck starts faster than my 05 dirtymax.

I hope this helps someone with a hard to start, if it doesn't sounds like a 2stroke when it tries to fire put one in and never look back. The R/R with the starter, a new fender mounted relay, full fluid check, lube job, and oil change was about 1.5 hour, easy job and highly recommended.

I hope this gives someone a good laugh!

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the part number or application for this gear reduction starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that all diesels had reduction gear starters. I know my 7.3 IDI and my 6.0 do. Am I wrong?

Dave

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
83-early 84 did not have one. I'll pull the part number when I get to work, it's on the truck in my Sig. I used the part number for a stock 83, thankfully the FZ5 had a adapter spacer it looked like for the starter.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://dbelectrical.com/p-5652-ford...esel-starter-f250-f350-1985-1994-hi-tork.aspx

I used this one, personally. It's a Nippondenso knock-off, but so far I can't say anything bad about its quality. Been under the truck nearly a year, and it was the easiest starting year I've had yet.

There are three styles of starters: direct drive (usually Delco), gear-reduction (usually Mitsubishi), and what most people call "high-torque" (usually Nippondenso, basically just more gear reduction). I've had all three under my truck now. It had a direct drive when I got it, and starting times were long, engine turned over slowly. Installed a gear-reduction unit and it was okay, much better, but that unit had problems with the solenoid not always pushing the gear forward to grab the ring gear (crappy AutoZone parts, never again, at least it had a lifetime warranty so full money back, even after two years).

Finally, I installed one of the Nippondenso-style units. My truck turns over faster than our '71 gasser 360. Some of the best money I've ever spent on my truck. Who knows how long it will last, but so far, I had it in the White Mountains this winter and it started without any real trouble in 20 degrees each day.

JM2CW

mbarry98

Reaction score
Power Master makes the best gear reduction starter they have the most torque our of any on the market for theses truck I bought one and it is well wort the $200 I paid from Jegs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some engines did have the direct drive starters. My 89 had that style and it was slow cranking. When I changed to the gear reduction starter my cranking speed was so fast you did not have enough time to let go of the ignition switch as the engine fired off.
Stop and think about how a diesel starts. They are compression ignition engines. In short. They make high compression which in turn heats up the air considerably... This high heat from compression is what ignites the diesel fuel. So science tells us the faster you compress the air the hotter it gets. Rudolf Diesel proved the temp needed to ignite diesel is around 940 degrees. Try starting an engine by slowly cranking it over. You just can't make the same heat to ignite the fuel. This is why a bump start gets these engines running quick if they have fuel to the injectors. Wont do a damn thing if you have a fuel drain back issue till the air is purged out of the lines. So you may be bumping your truck for a longer distance before it fires off. Gear reduction starters are the way to go.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use nothing but power masters.
absolute best starters and alternators on the market!

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the DB Electric starter. Nice to have a 'bump start' diesel

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That remy is a good unit also. I use the DB electric 4 kw.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Just installed the Power Master 9050. Holy smokes! Should have done this a long time ago ;Sweet

Any tips for tightening that top bolt? I thought it was tough on the Mitsu starter.. this one is definitely worse. Tried a wobbly but it doesn't fit. Thinking a crows foot or something? :dunno

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC I used a wobley socket, the # 2 and 3 size extensions in the set and a flex head ratchet and it fit perfect.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Use a good swivel, impact swivel (with your ratchet) to be precise with some long extensions. The non-impact swivels bind up too easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online