Fuel Sending Unit HELP...

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Went through hell today finding out that because my 1986 F250 extended cab Diesel truck is indeed a DIESEL, that literally no place in the country sells sending units for it simply because its a diesel truck.:mad:-cuss:backoff

If anyone has a 2 pin sending unit with 2 tubes that matches the one in my main thread, PLEASE for the love of god sell one to me. My truck has the 19 gallon side tank. The only place that can even remotely help me wants $185.00 to rebuild the one I have, and I only have at most 90 dollars to spend on a sending unit...

If anyone can help, PLEASE do.

Thank you in advance,
Duane, S., D.A.V.

Edit : forgot, I can upload photos.. I hate stress -.-

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 72

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First of all whats the problem. I don't see the brass float. Thats an easy problem to fix. Secondly the suction head has come off. Thats still no problem. You don't need them. Put it back on and measure the length it adds to the pickup tube. Then cut and install a piece of fuel rated rubber hose. Those suction heads are a known fall apart item. When they drop off you run out of fuel that able to be sucked up around 1/4 tank. When you refill you tank because you raunout of fuel usually it takes around 12 gallons to fill up... The tanks are 19 gallons so you see you left 5 gallons of holly fuel that can't be used... Any brass float from any truck tank will fit what you have. Yours may just be floating on the fuel in the tank too...:sly

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
The problem is...

The system is sucking air and the resistor that measures fuel height in ohms is bad. The sending unit does not work.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In about a thousand similar threads, I have posted a link to an excellent set of instructions by Fellro86 on how to retrofit a generic J.C.Whitney sending-unit onto the fuel-tubes that you have.

When I did mine, I paid $16 for the sending-unit; they are probably $25 now.

The J.C.Whitney unit is light-years ahead of the O.E.M. Ford unit in both accuracy and durability.

Do a search and that link will turn up.
:)

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get one for a 86 f250 with a 460 cheapest place is rock auto. All you have to do is extend the pickup on it with a piece of hose. I put one in mine about 4 months ago and it's been working perfectly.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were up here we could fix that baby right up. I may have a rheostat. More later.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through hell today finding out that because my 1986 F250 extended cab Diesel truck is indeed a DIESEL, that literally no place in the country sells sending units for it simply because its a diesel truck.:mad:-cuss:backoff

If anyone has a 2 pin sending unit with 2 tubes that matches the one in my main thread, PLEASE for the love of god sell one to me. My truck has the 19 gallon side tank. The only place that can even remotely help me wants $185.00 to rebuild the one I have, and I only have at most 90 dollars to spend on a sending unit...

If anyone can help, PLEASE do.

Thank you in advance,
Duane, S., D.A.V.

Edit : forgot, I can upload photos.. I hate stress -.-

How about from a 1990.... you said it was resistor.... here's the guts you need. I think it's for the 19 gal fwd-side tank...IIRC they're the same both trucks.

19 Gal tank:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=609447

18 Gal tank:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=609448

Sorry, a few bones over $90.00.....but it's new original Motorcraft part.

A quick question and observation.... you have a 2 pin connector, however, there's only one wire coming off the sender, that is the signal wire, isn't the second pin on the connector just a ground to both the plate and tank once fasteners are installed?

This thing isn't much different than the boat ones we install.... just the plate is waaaaaaay too big and unnecessary.

This suxx too because my fwd tank gauge failed two days ago. Good thing I know it's empty at 302 miles! Reset trip meter when I filled up.... also why I knew the parts are available from Rock Auto.

Oh! And one more thing.... why in Hades would someone design pick up tubes with two bends in them?? Really! First off, a shorter pick up means less friction, second, a return line only needs to dead end at the top! AAAaaaand..... the dadgummed plate doesn't have to be so large, reducing the risk for leak because of less sealing area required! RI-DIK-A-LUSS!

I can put that exact same functionality together in a 2" plate!

Last edited:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one already been changed over from the suction head to tube sitting in the barn shoot me a PM

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Midnight Rider

It would be a lot simpler to just post the thread link. Searched and found nothing of any help. The posts in the thread have been more help. Thanks anyway.:rolleyes:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's right here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&userid=170072&albumid=16937

A bit convoluted, but he's using the same senders we use in a lot of boats.

Basically jerry rigging the new transmitter/sender onto the old system.

Doesn't give OHM ratings, I don't know either... but then there's his description of rewiring the fuel switch. Not sure if this is necessary or if he's trying to do something else.

Hope it helps.... and yes, those are very inexpensive units and the reason I tell boaters to never-ever-never-ever-never-ever-ever-ever.......NEVER!.... Trust your fuel gauge....Ever!

There are better ones available, but four times as much, they work off of inductance instead of resistance....although kinda the same, but not really....and not helpful in this thread.... just sayin'.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He can't use any type of sender after 1986. They read backwards and have a different ohm value. I like the 460 sending unit idea myself. Autozone has them for $78, it has the return pipe. But it's made to mount a electric fuel pump on the unit, so you will have to modify it a little bit so it will suck the fuel out of the tank without using a pump.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He can't use any type of sender after 1986. They read backwards and have a different ohm value. I like the 460 sending unit idea myself. Autozone has them for $78, it has the return pipe. But it's made to mount a electric fuel pump on the unit, so you will have to modify it a little bit so it will suck the fuel out of the tank without using a pump.

Yup just extend it with some hose and its a done deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online