e350 idi7.3 "fuel sending unit" air intrusion

sieg01

Reaction score
Hi at all.

My van has an "air intrusion" at the fuel sending unit.
I unpluged the original diesel line and connected a Polyamide hose at the sending unit. Then the intrusion was slightly less.
I took the sending unit out, because I wanted to see if the strainer is clean. And yes, it is.

The sending unit is without integrated tank pump.

What would you do - and how,- to check if there is a crack/leak between the strainer and the outside male quick connector?

Thanks.

sieg01

Reaction score
Meanwhile I read that an Econoline fuel tank sending unit may not be available (so easily). And I would like to keep the existing one:
Did anyone disassembled such unit before?
Any advice where to be careful? :) The unit is nearly 30 years young :D

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Meanwhile I read that an Econoline fuel tank sending unit may not be available (so easily). And I would like to keep the existing one:
Did anyone disassembled such unit before?
Any advice where to be careful? :) The unit is nearly 30 years young :D

I had a 78 Dodge 1 ton van 10 years ago that used an impossible to get sending unit for the big plastic tank. I refurbished it as best I could, with a new brass float and fuel sock. The original float fell off and was in the tank and the fuel sock was badly deteriorated. The gauge worked well enough with it, at a full tank it showed 3/4 full, so when it got close to E, it still had about 1/4 tank.

I had to hand cut a rubberized cork gasket for it too because it went into the side of the plastic tank near the top and had to good in gasoline.

Before and after cleaning off the rust.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sieg01

Reaction score
You did a nice job!

The Econoline tank sender unit has a lot of plastic and since it is in a certain age, I need to process and collect infos before I lay my hands on it.
Maybe I'll start in the afternoon with the sender unit.
Now (before noon) I want to remove the original fuel+return lines from the van.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You might find something useful at these links:

Last edited:

sieg01

Reaction score
Hello again :)
Yes - Nick is a great source of information!
I browsed over these pages earlier.
Thing is, that I'm not within the USA and I have no time waiting for a shipment from there to the EU.
I'd like to get the van driving on Sunday evening.

sieg01

Reaction score
Hi @ all.

Just for the record: Problem is sourced and solution is simple.
Just make sure that the diesel tank is @ least 3/4 full. :) This is the quick fix I am going to do.

Background:
I disassembled the sending unit partially.
It seems that the source of the air intrusion is @ the top of the plastic case. There is a blue gasket and the "mounting part" where the outgoing metal diesel line is attached.
At this "plastic mounting part" seems to be the gap where the air can pass.
While the plastic case was upside down - I filled it with diesel. The diesel came out of the metal line exit.

If anyone of you has an additional fuel tank sending unit, then you might have the opportunity to open these plastic mounting parts and inform us: How to "open" it without damaging them or the casing.
Then I might be brave enough to fix mine as well. :)

Thanks!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hi @ all.

Just for the record: Problem is sourced and solution is simple.
Just make sure that the diesel tank is @ least 3/4 full. :) This is the quick fix I am going to do.

Background:
I disassembled the sending unit partially.
It seems that the source of the air intrusion is @ the top of the plastic case. There is a blue gasket and the "mounting part" where the outgoing metal diesel line is attached.
At this "plastic mounting part" seems to be the gap where the air can pass.
While the plastic case was upside down - I filled it with diesel. The diesel came out of the metal line exit.

If anyone of you has an additional fuel tank sending unit, then you might have the opportunity to open these plastic mounting parts and inform us: How to "open" it without damaging them or the casing.
Then I might be brave enough to fix mine as well. :)

Thanks!

Carry a 5 gallon can of extra fuel if you're worried about running out too.

sieg01

Reaction score
I believe that I made a mistake in processing.

After sleeping and thinking over, I believe that the source of the problem is in the O-ring which is between the bottom of the casing and the plastic casing.
The plastic casing is a small container which gets filled by the return line - as it ends there.
At the top of the casing is an "overflow" where the outgoing diesel line starts.
What I think is, that if the bottom O-ring does not do its job, then the diesel level in this small container will be on the same level as the tank level is.
The container runs low and it will get filled by air...

Does anyone know the dimensions of this O-ring?
I already re-installed my unit in the tank...