Fuel level sending units

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the aftermarket fuel sending units? If so how was the quality, did it read like it should all the way through the range? I'm trying to decide if I should buy aftermarket or get mine rebuilt. Thanks

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a few cans of techron fuel treatment back 2 back...
Someone posted thks fixed sluggish senders.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a few cans of techron fuel treatment back 2 back...
Someone posted thks fixed sluggish senders.

I was wondering about this myself, is techron ok in diesel though? I've only ever heard of it used in gassers?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno
Ran a dose thru mine...
No worries yet.

Seein how an idi will eat most fuel sources, I dought it will foul the plugs:dunno

Last edited:

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm more looking for a real fix, never been a user of snake oils. I would just like to fix it and be done with it, that's what makes me worry about the aftermarket ones, how good can they be for less than a hundred bucks.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with it???
Snake oils suck...
Once in a while one works.
Is it out, or erratic, or what?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of them work fine till about a quarter of a tank, then they drop to past empty, after driving for a while longer they come back up to quarter, then half, then back to quarter and all around. Other than that they work great lol, just gets a little touch and go at the bottom of the scale.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased new gasser sending units (minus the in-tank pump) for mine. Also required a minor change to the electrical connection at the tank simply because the diesel has a two wire plug while the gasser has (I think) 4 wire. Anyway you'll need the gasser plug, simply install the two wires on your existing harness. Cheap & easy easy! If memory serves there are certain years this will not work. I think the fuel gauge reads backward on some???

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of them work fine till about a quarter of a tank, then they drop to past empty, after driving for a while longer they come back up to quarter, then half, then back to quarter and all around. Other than that they work great lol, just gets a little touch and go at the bottom of the scale.
Could that just be the fuel sloshing around? The lower the level the more it will do it. I know mine bounces pretty good below half. I don't think these trucks have any electronics to smooth out the signal.

For what it's worth I bought new fleabay senders and the range seems to be fine. I'm having problems with my rear tank leaking and I'm starting to wonder if it's sender related. I'll look close at it when I pull the bed here in a month or so.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could that just be the fuel sloshing around? The lower the level the more it will do it. I know mine bounces pretty good below half. I don't think these trucks have any electronics to smooth out the signal.

For what it's worth I bought new fleabay senders and the range seems to be fine. I'm having problems with my rear tank leaking and I'm starting to wonder if it's sender related. I'll look close at it when I pull the bed here in a month or so.

I can stop driving and it will stay way below empty, or half or wherever it decided to go, it's not really a bounce, it'll stay there for a good fifteen minutes or so on the freeway then come back up to some random level. My chevy did the bounce thing real bad, you gotta get good at averaging the sweep lol.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased new gasser sending units (minus the in-tank pump) for mine. Also required a minor change to the electrical connection at the tank simply because the diesel has a two wire plug while the gasser has (I think) 4 wire. Anyway you'll need the gasser plug, simply install the two wires on your existing harness. Cheap & easy easy! If memory serves there are certain years this will not work. I think the fuel gauge reads backward on some???

I was going to buy the diesel sending units, any reason you went with gasser ones?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Availability & price (at that time) was the reason I used gasser units.
While I'm not good with electrical problems, the issue you're experiencing sounds like a ground problem. Check ground from engine block to frame, body to engine block, etc. Maybe some of the electrical guys can offer better info.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I guess I should have put this in the original post, but I hooked my meter to the connector at the sending unit and watched the ohms as I was driving it.....once they get down to the quarter tank level they make DRASTIC changes in the resistance, the rear more than the front, but both are nfg. They are bad at the bottom of the scale. I was just wondering the quality of the aftermarket, sounds like they work fine.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you entertain cleaning up the resistance coil first?
The labor to get at them would make me want new ones tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online