Fuel filter question

biodiesel_wv

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 1990 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 international motor and the filter I use is Purolator F54692. It clogs way too often for my liking. I make a little Biodiesel and use it from time to time. I called Purolator and the filter is rated to 4 Microns (Absolute - removes 98% of particles 4 microns or larger). This seems pretty small to me. Does any one else know their Micron rating? Can I go with a larger rating? What do the injectors and Injection Pump need?

Thanks for all the good info listed here,
Matt

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
hey welcome matt, some pre-filters are 5-10 and then the others are like you said 4 or maybe 2-10, i had a 2 micron racor pre-filter, then the stock filter that was a 10 i think, biodiesel will clog them quicker you might want to pre-filter before pouring in tank?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I've always thought that the stock Racor INF4595 for the 94-97s was rated at 10 microns. Pre bioD & WVO I'd get 15K miles on a filter. With B100 & WVO I'm changing it every 4-5K. Since I re-plumbed both fuel lines to run through my heat exchanger, I'm running B100 at 155*-160*F and filter clogging due to gelling is a faint memory...BUT because both fuels pass through my stock fuel filter, the life span is shorter.