Fuel routing questions

sgtotaku

Reaction score
I have a t444e that I’m working on turning into a powerstroke. The engine is a 95 model year. I’ve been reading all over the place that regulated return is the best, but I’ve also been seeing a neat little add on from CNC Fabrication that uses a regulated supply instead. It does this by taking a single, regulated fuel line in from the electric pump, then sending fuel to all 4 fittings at each end of each head.

While I would prefer a regulated return, I can’t really afford it at the moment, yet I still have to do something about the stock t444e fuel bowl, which is mounted above the passenger head.

What I really want to know is if the regulated supply will work as good as a regulated return.

Thanks for reading and giving advice!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong about this but wouldn't you have to be regulated in the return side. Otherwise the supply would free flow everything back to the tank while building little to no pressure.

James

sgtotaku

Reaction score
From what I can tell, it looks like the regulated supply has no return at the engine, just at the pump or regulator before getting to the engine.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the biggest disadvantage is see with that setup would be that it won't self bleed the air. It would airlock the engine just like the factory system, except depending on where the pump is mounted could be alot more lines to bleed.

James

sgtotaku

Reaction score
Is the 7.3 PSD like the old IDIs in that they will bleed by cranking?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 7.3 PSD like the old IDIs in that they will bleed by cranking?

Sort of, but on a factory powerstroke it usually takes alot of cranking. On the power stroke it has to fill fuel galleries in both heads, plus however much line is after pump.

This is the reason the regulated return is a major upgrade to this system. With an e-pump almost all air can be bled out before even trying to start it.

James

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer the stock mechanical fuel system of the 94-97 powerstrokes compared to the electric in the SDs. Both "regulate" fuel pressure the same way with a poppet valve and spring.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
IMHO, regulated return all the way. Ensures good supply volume, better fuel cooling, better fuel polishing, and air purging (as mentioned).

A did a fuel bowl delete on my 97, granted, it was the Ford factory one. Lopped off the regulator portion for re-use and went with a spin-on filter on the inside of the fender. Had I kept it instead of selling, would have done regulated return.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online