Fuel economy mods

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
With all the "chips" and "tuners" on the market these days; is there any chip that will get me better mileage in my 95 stroke? Im not concerned about power.

I have put a bigger down pipe on it and intake and deleted the cataylic converter looking device and I noticed a small gain in MPG after all that. Just wondering if it can be programed to sip fuel....

Last edited:

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the muffler? Thats also a big restriction on these trucks. As far as tuners go, if I was goning to buy a chip right now, it would be a PHP (power hungry performance) chip. Do a google search and you'll bring them right up. Easily one of the finest chips out there.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, and from what i've read(not personal experience, never owned a stroke), the 7.3 PSD responds much better to a chip vs. a programmer.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "custom" tuning vs an Edge or hypermax etc....

How do I custom tune it?

Its not really "custom", but basically places like PHP or Tony Wildman take a stock TS chip and put their tunes on it that are far superior. Kind of like the EFI live of 7.3's ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure.... one member here that had done alot with the OBS PSD is 94f450.... hopefully Rich will come along and chime in on this

Both he and Nick, Double-S-Diesel have said the same....

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do the OBS PSD's not respond good to a programmer?

Why do the SD PSD's like programmers?

Either way a custom chip is far superior then a flash tuner wether you have an OBS or a superduty.

The SD's may respond better because they have larger injectors.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ya that would make sense that for any vehicle. if something is custom tuned to your engine then it would perform best rather than some generic tuner. even though they were all 7.3L PSD's none of them were identicle.