Fuel delivery problem?

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I developed a odd issue on my trip to MN. Hopefully someone out there will know what the issue is. Here we go......
stop light goes green i take off. The truck shifts (e4od) between 2000 and 2400 rpms. Once in drive at 2000 rpm and cruising, without moving my foot (holding 2000 rpm) the truck all of a sudden gets a power increase like its running lean. Then it promptly looses power to under 1000 rpm. The it holds for a few seconds then slowly climbs back up the rpms. Come to the next stop light and it may or may not do it again.
Now, when I'm cruising down the freeway I don't have this problem.

This started when I got into Bismark, ND when the temp was single digits outside. I do run and have been running additive in my fuel since Bismark (as its cold here too).

I'm wondering if my lift pump is not getting weak.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What was the level of fuel in the tanks... If it was 1/4 tank you probably have a broken off fuel pickup in the tanks. When this happens you run out of fuel at 1/4 tank... thats where the fuel stops being picked up. This is air getting into the fuel system...

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
The tanks are full. With the cold I wont let them go below 1/2.
Also it doesn't matter what tank I'm on either. It acts up on both

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Lift pump makes sense to me... Maybe invest in a fuel pressure gauge for it so you know how its doing.

PZ

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely starving for fuel but that could be any number of reasons including:
Bad lift pump, plugged fuel filter, gelled fuel, bad injection pump, air intrusion into the fuel lines. Unless the filter is fresh I'd start there, and give the fuel system a good looking over from the tank to the Ip inlet to see if you have any leaks.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like almost exactly my issue, I just made a thread for it as well. Hopfully somebody knows what the problem is, As long as she holds together for my drive home through the mountains tomorrow I'll be ok

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
i put a new filter on before my road trip. But with all the different fuels from the different states it makes sense to start there

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If your fuel is gelling are you running anything to solve that issue....:dunno

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go with the air leak also.

It could maybe be the filter, even if you switched it only the day before.

"Algae" infections, or just stirring up the trash laying in the tank, can clog a new filter on it's first day.

Dash-mounted fuel-pressure gauges save a lot of wasted filters and much guessing; one reading after the main fuel-filter and the other before.

If you show good pressure at both sides, then neither the pump nor the filter are at fault.

Good pressure before the filter with a big drop in pressure after the filter means the filter is clogged. :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sounds like you are gelling up, been there more times than I can count. If you are running anything other than Howes in ND, then that's exactly what is going on, and remember to run double dose for pickups. To clear up an existing problem you will need to dose heavier than that, at least double the normal recomended and pour about a gal of unleaded in each tank to thin it out.

If already running howes and been doing it regularly, then pluggged filter.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember to run double dose for pickups.

Why ?? :dunno

As opposed to big trucks ?? :dunno

I hear good words about HOWES, but have never had occasion to use it.

I have never had a gelling issue running plain old White Jug Power-Service at the recommended ratio of an ounce/3-gallons along with an ounce/gallon of TC-W3 two-stroke oil, long-hauling cattle in the winter-time in such cold places. :)

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
IDI's don't return as near the volume of warm fuel to the tank as a semi hence the double dose for a pickup. Hoes or PS, both work good and you really can't use too much - it won't hurt anything. When I have an engine with stuck injectors I will fill the fuel filters full of howes and run the engine just long enough to soak the injectors in straight Howes to try and free them up...Works well on engines where bottoming out the injectors is a part of a top set....Engines like N14 and M11 Cummins for example are this way and they can/will stick down sometimes causing a lot of cursing and a bad snapping noise until they let go.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Why ?? :dunno

As opposed to big trucks ?? :dunno

I hear good words about HOWES, but have never had occasion to use it.

I have never had a gelling issue running plain old White Jug Power-Service at the recommended ratio of an ounce/3-gallons along with an ounce/gallon of TC-W3 two-stroke oil, long-hauling cattle in the winter-time in such cold places. :)

Exactly as he said, the return volume is lower. Howes has instructions for pickups and cars to use double dose on their website, I'm not sure if it's on the bottles anywhere or not. Big trucks return fuel at such a high rate that they warm the tanks up pretty good with just the return fuel. A lot of northern trucks running blankets on the tanks can get by with very little additive if they keep them running. Some use the fuel return line as a heat source for heated fuel filters instead of engine coolant.