frost plug?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Still something isn't right. If you lost two freeze plugs your going to loose more. Did you look at the piston tops to see if any of them had a 20 on them. Any numbers are going to tell you the engine was bored so the block was hot tanked and ALL the freeze plugs were replaced. Thats the only reason a plug will fall out. Its either brass or its steel. You need to find out what plugs are in the block. There are 7 of them. Three on the drivers side. Two on the passenger side and two behind the flywheel. Thats 7 of them. They can be installed with the engine still in the truck but... You will need to remove the trans. Remove the motor mounts and the oil cooler. With all that removed theres no reason not to pull the engine. Having the engine on a stand makes the oil cooler and the freeze plug job much easier. Now if the engine was rebuilt I'm betting the oil pan has a gasket installed on it... That must be removed because they leak... They rarely ever seal and most of the times they leak. Plus the factory never used a gasket so why are we using them... Because they come in many gasket overhaul sets. Still no reason to instal something that should never be used.. We use RTV just like the factory and never have any leaks done correctly... So please try to find out whats going on with this engine. I hope this isn't overwhelming to you.. We are all here wanting to help. Your not alone either. I have other members calling me all the time asking for personal help. Sometimes its tuff to be available but I do try.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your not alone either. I have other members calling me all the time asking for personal help. Sometimes its tuff to be available but I do try.
LOL....you too eh...i get calls txts n *** gallore...it sure is nice to be wanted and nicer yet to help out!

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will look for the other ones, as far as the pistons, I don't believe they had any numbers on them...And I looked at them closely. I saw a freeze plug on the other side, And it looked like what you guys were talking about.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I wonder if the 2 that "fell out" only corroded the centers and the outer lips are still in the block? That might give you the measurements you have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726