Front cover removal

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the timing gears are the same so they’ll interchange. I’d get it timed. With the white smoke and clatter, I have no idea where it’s at. On the od, is your 3rd brake light blown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathanbwata

Reaction score
Yes my cab brake light is blown...why would that matter tho...I'll replace them since all three are bad but how does that effect the OD...

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your lockup is connected the break if it don't lockup it won't hit of the only reason I know this truck still I had a 95 psd and was having the same issue but we change the bulb and put a switch in to lock it up worked great unless I forgot an had to stops usually happened on the off ramp :)

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure the how or why but it prevents the torque converter from locking. Might be a simple fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Google NAPAeCatalog and then select nearest big city to you,
You’ll have access to all NAPA catalogs, including lighting.

They’re searchable and interactive

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes my cab brake light is blown...why would that matter tho...I'll replace them since all three are bad but how does that effect the OD...

The TECA (Transmission Electronic Control Module) monitors several input signals. One is the BOO (Brake On Off) switch. This is to unlock the converter if you push the brake pedal.

The TECA also passes a small current signal through the brake light circuit, both bulbs in the tail lights and the 3rd high mount light. If any one of these bulbs are bad, it can throw the TECA into “limp mode” which affects shifting, and will prevent lockup.

This signal is also what causes the lights to be on all the time with some led’s. This signal is enough to run the led’s. LED’s can also cause limp mode.....

This is why the brake lights and bulbs can effect the transmission.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TECA (Transmission Electronic Control Module) monitors several input signals. One is the BOO (Brake On Off) switch. This is to unlock the converter if you push the brake pedal.

The TECA also passes a small current signal through the brake light circuit, both bulbs in the tail lights and the 3rd high mount light. If any one of these bulbs are bad, it can throw the TECA into “limp mode” which affects shifting, and will prevent lockup.

This signal is also what causes the lights to be on all the time with some led’s. This signal is enough to run the led’s. LED’s can also cause limp mode.....

This is why the brake lights and bulbs can effect the transmission.

This is good to know, I am putting a CM flat bed on my truck and EVERY light on the bed is an LED!!! am up poops creek now? How can this be remedied?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This is good to know, I am putting a CM flat bed on my truck and EVERY light on the bed is an LED!!! am up poops creek now? How can this be remedied?

There are resistors that mimic the load of a standard incandescent bulb that will resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it somewhat defeats the purpose of going led, current draw. Now instead of a high draw bulb, you are heating up a resistor

This lower current draw is also what makes a standard flasher flash rapidly, the current draw is less so the bi-metal flasher reacts differently. Just like a bulb is burned out

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are resistors that mimic the load of a standard incandescent bulb that will resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it somewhat defeats the purpose of going led, current draw. Now instead of a high draw bulb, you are heating up a resistor

This lower current draw is also what makes a standard flasher flash rapidly, the current draw is less so the bi-metal flasher reacts differently. Just like a bulb is burned out

I wouldn't be doing it if the bed didn't come with the LED lights , you're right its counter productive. However the LED lights do look awesome!

edit: @snicklas couldn't I just keep the third brake light incandescent to keep the resistance in that circuit proper?

Last edited:

Jonathanbwata

Reaction score
Well I ain't getting the light to come on and I checked the fuses all good the lights next to brake light come

Jonathanbwata

Reaction score
And it don't smoke anymore so it most likely was smoking at first since I haven't used that injector pump and prolly flooded it first start up but the motor runs good now just that damn od

Jonathanbwata

Reaction score
Got power to the brake lights and topped it with atf and still od no working truck shifts 1 threw 3 and that's it's lol... might just do the zf5 soon if I cannot locate this stupid problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86