front bumper schematics?? anyone have some?

tmm711

Reaction score
hey all again my turbo is just going to have to wait not enough funds lol but i do have lots and lots of steel and want to make front and rear bumpers for my 1991 idi it has a add a leaf kit and it is sitting on 36's but the front end needs a mean look to it any details, pics, step by step bumper plans would be awesome!

Murray

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my bumper steps
remove stock junk
weld 2 pieces of 10 inch c channel notched to accept frame to a piece of 12 inch channel
then position and weld to frame
then cut pie cuts in both sides of 12 in channel and smack a tree on each side to create the correct bend then weld

but i think youre loking for something less heavy duty and can be bolted on
id take a stock set of brackets off a junkyard truck and bolt them to a frame width jig (31in iirc) and then build up as you see fit
then just bolt on

if you want pics of mine just ask ill post them

tmm711

Reaction score
alright thank you sir! your right im looking for something more like bolt on and go i have a 76 f250 with a 10in steel pipe bumper i can pretty much move anything with it lol but i need a bumper i can put a winch on and move small trees that have fallen on my fence. owning a 1300ac cattle farm you tend to run into that quite often

KRob

Reaction score
I like the C channal idea 88best...im going to have to log that one away for another day.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
c channel isnt the best for a winch mount. i tweak mine every time i winch hard. i am going to buy a winch bumper from broncograveyard.

winch is now in the middle of it, with some bracing to mount it. but still flexes it.

You must be registered for see images attach

KRob

Reaction score
So would C Channel work for just a bumper then? Im thinking hitting deer at 45, nicking the side of obstacles while moving around...farm truck type stuff?

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
yea, c channel will work. 8 inch fits perfect over the framerails. thats what mine is.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
c channel can winch
make it like mine but add a piece flat on top then 1/4 plate inbetween as a large gusset i had it looked at by an engineer with a fancy computer system and it will work great

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
yours is also dumb for what i need. sticking 2 feet infrtont of the truck is pointless.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you come out to my stash you can look at my brothers bumper. He hit a bear doing 65 on 415 . About brought the truck to a stop but didn't hurt the bumper onebit. Tweaked the frame pretty bad though.

KRob

Reaction score
Yeah thats another problem of having a heavier bumper your more likly to screw up your frame instead of busting up your front and busting a radiator and intercooler.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
corey i agree mine is not for wheeling but its great for utility which is most guys here