Fixing front crank seal?

445TDF-series

Reaction score
I just have filled the oil up 2 qts because of a loud ticking noise it makes when the oil gets low about 2 weeks ago or so. I just today had the noise come back and ended up having to fill up the oil up about a gallon. I waited 10 min on level ground for all the oil to return. I leak about a drip or two overnight. Looks to be the front crank seal. My question is, can i replace the front crank seal by removing the front bumper, radiator, core support, fan, etc?? Like removing the front end cosmetics?? I don't have a lift to do properly lift the motor out...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No need to remove the front bumper. You will need a seal that has the metal speedy sleeve that is installed on the vibration dampner because thats what wears out. The seal cuts a groove into it. Once the dampner is off you can pull the seal out easily. Sometimes a metal screw drilled into it and a small slide hammer works fine. You don't need to remove the front cover plate for this job but that does make it easier but more work taking it apart. That front cover sits up about 1/8 inch in the injection pump cover too. Stripping off all the assesories from the front of the motor takes the most time. The core support can stay inplace but you will need a puller to remove the dampner. To intall it when the job is done use a longer piece of all thread rod and nut. It will go on easily.

445TDF-series

Reaction score
Is that a typical leaking point? I can look up and it looks like it is starting from where the vibration dampner is mounted. Is the job really difficult overall if i leave on the front cover?? I need a new bumper so taking the old one off eventually is going to happen. To replace the crank seal, I assume: Take off grille, lights, header panel, bumper (to replace anyway), radiator, vibration dampner (using puller?) and take the belt off then the seal should easily come off?? Also while having the front end pulled apart, is the dana 44 seal easy to replace? The one between the two halves of the 'clam'? Mine is leaking nicely of course. Do I need the truck on a lift or what? Stupid RTV or whatever is in there now is bad making it weep badly.....thanks for the help!

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me about 9 hours yesterday to redo my whole front cover. Good amount was spent cleaning up the gasket surfaces.

After you get your fan and shroud off, it's very accessible laying on the ground.

445TDF-series

Reaction score
so i don't need to take apart the front end?? Jusr shroud and unbolt the fan? Is there an easy way to remove the clutch and fan as a whole? Last time i tried the special wrench spun the pulley with the belt on... does the dampner just slide off then i just pop out the seal?? While i'm in there, is it easy enough to replace the water pump?? The shaft has play and has taken a few ribs off the belt... So much work to do so little time to enjoy it... :rotflmao

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just clicked with me that you're on a 7.3.

On the 6.9, I had an easy time getting the fan off. I kept the fan blades and clutch together, and just undid where it threads onto the pulley. Haha, I used a pipe wrench, and just smoked it with a hammer a few times, keeping in mind the left-hand thread. The impact will undo it without turning the pulley.

I removed my seal with the front cover off, but as icanfixall said, a screw and a slide hammer would work well I imagine! After the balancer is off, the seal is easily accessed from under the truck. Lots of room to work on it.

You may as well do the water pump while you're there. For the 6.9, my accessory brackets had to come off, which was pretty quick.

Another place where it can leak, is where the oil pan meets the front cover at the very front, right below the main seal. If that's it, you may wanna consider taking off the whole front cover.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me about 9 hours yesterday to redo my whole front cover. Good amount was spent cleaning up the gasket surfaces.

Wow, I'm impressed.

You pulled the front cover with the engine in the truck? That's amazing. And to put it all back together with no leaks, and timed ok. That's even more impressive.

You should be taking pics, and writing some articles...That's one heckuva job.

Good on ya mate!!

Zigg :)

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, no leaks either! I was nervous about the oil pan though. I had to loosen the bolts and drop the front of it down slightly to get the front cover back on. I thought for sure it was going to leak after.

I re-read the thread from a month or so back though, so I was prepared well. Had a puller sized up, and all my parts ready to go.

Although I forgot to tighten a clamp on the lower rad hose, and just about had a Chernobyl on the highway today. Noticed the temp gauge went up slightly, so I U-turned it and went home. Figured the t-stat plugged or something. The motor was just about dry--my spit bubbled on the intake! She's okay--I let it get cold and refilled it, but it scared the poop outta me.