First oil change

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I bought 3 gallons oil Chevron DELO 15w40 and a FL1995 oil filter. My question is how much oil do these trucks hold normally. How many quarts will it hold now total with the larger oil filter. Thanks in advance.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Squeeky,
Welcome to OB the best place for us to spend yer $$$$$ :D
I'm dropping in a bit over11 qts with the larger filter. Ya got just enough. ;Sweet

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Ron. I will just drop in a square 11 qts, and then add from there. Do you recommend have the truck at full operating temperature when topping it off?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
squeekyM said:
Thanks for the info Ron. I will just drop in a square 11 qts, and then add from there. Do you recommend have the truck at full operating temperature when topping it off?

Yes, per Ford and many other techs, overfilling (filling cold before oil expands) causes excessive oil consumption.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
fx4wannabe said:
I think mine only takes 10. Is the bigger filter big enough to hold another quart.

Yes, on mine it is. I used the Wix equivalent and it added at least one quart capacity, I believe slightly more (been awhile since I used the little filter).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I use just a little less than 3 gallons with the FL1995 filter. What you really need to do during an oil change is fill the new filter almost up the the top so the motor has a wet start. Don't fill the filter all the way up because it mounts on an angle and will run down your arm for sure. Ask me how I know this.... -cuss

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
icanfixall said:
I use just a little less than 3 gallons with the FL1995 filter. What you really need to do during an oil change is fill the new filter almost up the the top so the motor has a wet start. Don't fill the filter all the way up because it mounts on an angle and will run down your arm for sure. Ask me how I know this.... -cuss

Ok, I admit that is why I really don't know if it adds more than a quart! Hard to measure the amount that was in my armpit, either time! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
fx4wannabe said:
Wow that must be one big filter

Yep, it is. Not that the original one isn't already large, but I would guess this one to be 4 to 5 inches longer.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done an analasys comparison to see how much it helps, or do ya'll do it for cooling purposes?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, we do it because we can!

Bigger filters hold more dirt before they clog. And legend has it that they have finer filtration than the pre-PowerStroke filters.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I do it for increased oil capacity, cooler, better filtration and because they are almost the same price. The last time I priced them, there was less than $1 difference, why wouldn't you use the bigger one in that case! :)