Filled up with B99

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just filled up the tanks on the 1991 F350 with B99. It is 16 miles one way. The engine did quiet down after about 5 miles or so. It was very noticeable and I almost thought that it was going to stall out because of how quiet it became. Exhaust temp was the same and power seamed the same to me using the B99 vs ULSD.
Any of you guys have experience with using B99 in your truck?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run WVO, not BioD. But yeah, it does quiet down a bit and EGT's are basically the same. I get about 1mpg better on Diesel, so the potency of WVO must be a little less, but it depends on if I'm comparing it to summer or winter Diesel. And it depends on the type of vegetable oil that I filter.

gandalf

Reaction score
Yes, I've run B99. I liked it, the engine ran quieter, and the exhaust smelled a bit like French fries.

I had a major problem, though. I was driving my truck very little at the time, and a tank of B99 rotted. It literally rotted. Think about it. It's a biologic, and can therefore rot eventually. It killed a new IP when it rotted. I ultimately had to replace that tank.

Other than that, I liked it. If my truck were my daily driver, and I went through a tank every week or so, I'd still consider using it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ken I recall what you had with the mess in the electrical lift pump screen and the other issues. Today I learned something. Do not run B999 because it "goes bad" if left to sit too long. I drive less than 5000 miles per year on my rig these days... Damn sad too...

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ken I recall what you had with the mess in the electrical lift pump screen and the other issues. Today I learned something. Do not run B999 because it "goes bad" if left to sit too long. I drive less than 5000 miles per year on my rig these days... Damn sad too...

I only do about 3k miles per year in mine as it is used to haul our pop-up camper. I go through my both fuel tanks every month. Should I have gotten the B20 instead as the truck sits a lot?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you use two tanks a month, you'll probably be alright. If you let it sit longer and don't do that, then don't get B99. It may not hurt to have one tank filled with dino diesel just in case. A person never knows what will happen. Maybe you'll get sick or need surgery and the truck will sit for longer. Maybe even switch to the dino diesel a few miles before you get home and park the truck, That way the B99 will all be run out of your fuel system just in case. I know it would be a PITA, but it could save you a major headache some day.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The b99 probably is adjusting your timing on top of the improved lubricity. For best performance, probably will want to re-time with the fuel you are running. I’m sure it ignites at a different point in the stroke because the auto ignition temp is different. I’m not sure which way but I’d guess the ignition point is higher effectively retarding the timing. This in my mind is the one place lumy timing would be useful.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gandalf/Ken filled with B20 and stored the truck after a short drive.
the rear tank turned into a soupy mess about 6 months later.
if you are storing the truck or rarely drive it. straight diesel is the key.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran it one time, did quiet it down quite a bit. Too bad we don't have more info on it on here, its available to me easily here. But I'm to worried about potentially shortening the life of my injection system to run it. Paid to keep much to experiment with new fuels. Until more is known I will continue my diesel+diesel kleen mix. Wonder how bio diesel feels about diesel kleen even?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I ran straight biodiesel and it ran great! The cetane rating (~50) is higher than #2 diesel (~42), which means it requires less advanced timing.

What the guys were saying about not letting it sit is correct. The steel gas tank acts as a catalyst when exposed to oxygen and the biodiesel will polymerize over time. See this thread:

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/adventures-with-biodiesel.48908/

Store the biodiesel in a plastic container not steel.

Biodiesel will also swell rubber too. Most modern diesels are designed to run B20 without any problems tho. Most replacement o-rings and rubber components are now B20 compatible too.

Another fun fact: biodiesel is a great degreaser. I use it for cleaning parts. It's self cleaning too. The gunk settles out quickly.

Biodiesel is a great lubricity enhancer too. Stanadyne Lubricity enhancer is essentially biodiesel.

My WMO cocktail is 45% WMO, 45% #2 diesel, and 10%biodiesel. Even my Powerstrokes love it!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran straight biodiesel and it ran great! The cetane rating (~50) is higher than #2 diesel (~42), which means it requires less advanced timing.

What the guys were saying about not letting it sit is correct. The steel gas tank acts as a catalyst when exposed to oxygen and the biodiesel will polymerize over time. See this thread:

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/adventures-with-biodiesel.48908/

Store the biodiesel in a plastic container not steel.

Biodiesel will also swell rubber too. Most modern diesels are designed to run B20 without any problems tho. Most replacement o-rings and rubber components are now B20 compatible too.

Another fun fact: biodiesel is a great degreaser. I use it for cleaning parts. It's self cleaning too. The gunk settles out quickly.

Biodiesel is a great lubricity enhancer too. Stanadyne Lubricity enhancer is essentially biodiesel.

My WMO cocktail is 45% WMO, 45% #2 diesel, and 10%biodiesel. Even my Powerstrokes love it!

bbjordan is right on. As for my WVO, i store it in plastic jugs or plastic barrels. And I never run my biofuel through the stock fuel circuit. I have a dedicated WVO aluminum fuel tank, e-pump, filterhead, and heatexchangers. All my lines are aluminum or biofuel-rated hose, all fittings are aluminum, and seals/accessories were upgraded to viton. He's right if you run veggie oil products in mild steel, copper, brass, etc, it'll polymerize and start to clog filters.

I remember here in Los Angeles a long time ago, there was a biofuel conversion business callled something like Lovecraft. They designed a fuel system for all the hipsters that didn't want to act like they are helping the environment but not turn a wrench. When clients complained that they had to keep replacing filters, the business designed a kit that had a high pressure bypass! So the clients could have the convenience of running unfiltered fuel into their IP when their filters inevitably clogged from a poorly designed ferrous metal fuel system. Wow.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a tank of it a few months back.didn't smell any different to me. Its supposed to clean injectors really well. Is that true?