Fan clutch removal

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get my fan clutch off to change water pump. I have the loaner tools from the local parts store and am having no luck. But to be sure while standing looking at the truck I am trying to loosen that nut by pulling the tool to my left/passenger side of truck????

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we are dealing with a reverse thread nut. Righty loosen. Turn the fan clutch towards drivers to loosen.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do what I did, getting it correct to get it off, and then when putting the new one on, I kept trying and trying, and that thing is not lightweight either. Then I finally realized I was trying to put it on the wrong way(which is normally the right way).

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I also recommend putting torch on it. Mine wouldn't break free until I did that.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the fan clutch nut started by using a pointed chisel on a air impact hammer. It isn't good for the water pump bearings, but that is what you are going to replace anyway. It left a few indentations on a couple of flats on the fan clutch nut, but nothing that you couldn't file clean once you have removed it. Once I had it moving, then I used a fan clutch wrench. I just couldn't get it to budge with the wrench to start with. As stated above, it is left hand thread.

Archie

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That thread is a left hand thread. You will see this printed on the fan shroud too. When you install it use some blue loctite on the threads so it wont unloosen when the engine stops. The high compression engines stop turning so quickly they sometimes will loosen the fan nut. then the fan continues to turn till it runs off the threads... Then it eats the radiator. The torque on this nut is ssomething like 190 lbs so make it tight.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I put a 2 inch wrench on the nut and a screwdriver wedged in between 2 of the 4 bolts holding the pulley on. Then I had a buddy pull on the wrench. But make sure you put loctite on it when you put it back on because it will fly off into the radiator. And its a left hand thread. it should say that on the fan shroud

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a 2 inch wrench on the nut....

Then you have an odd ball nut (Pun intended) because it's 1 7/8" for the correct size!

It is Left hand thread and released as stated by pushing the wrench when on the top of the nut towards the drivers side.

Heat is your friend here.....ifn you don't got it off already. Seeing as your replacing the water pump do not worry about it..but that clutch is a no no to heat too much....Me my clutch was bad...water pump suspect so just heated till near glowing red...came off with my fan wrench no worries.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.lislecorp.com part number 43300, never had one I couldn't break loose with it and my snap on air hammer.

***** that's the exact set I have except it's a rebrand here in Canada called Ultra Pro...works freakin awesome for certain!

One has to have a killer chisel though...but BFH on end works too when all else fails....don't ask how I know!

http://youtu.be/JU_cpAoNvdA