engin swap to a 6.9 what a pooch

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 7.3 was drinking lots of water so I pulled it and put a 6.9 in that I was told had 93000 miles on it. Younger guy pulled it out of his 87 when the c6 went so parted out the truck. First off the ip is cranked way way up to the point it hard to drive. Egt gets to 1200 just trying to go 55 in 5th gear. also the truck just feels dead compared to the 7.3 it just had.

Went to turn the fuel down the top screw for the axis panel broke off. So now i get to pull the pump this weekend. I am going to mark the pump before I pull it but was thinking about advancing it just a dimes with to see how it runs. I have no timing equipment right now.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smart idea to mark the pump! Give a left hand drill bit a go at extracting the broken bolt.

gandalf

Reaction score
save yourself the grief. put your 7.3 pump on the 6.9
done.

Actually, that's your best bet. The problem you described would not have affected your old IP. It should be fine. Of course, you have to still have it, and not junked it with the engine. Your old IP will be in better shape than the one which came with the 6.9 engine, and the engine won't be able to tell the difference between the two. If your old IP ran well on the 7.3, it will run well on the 6.9. You'll have to find a way to time it, but it should do okay.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the old engine its strapped down in the back of the truck. using it as summer weight or something like that.

What would make the 6.9 such a pooch. Can turing up the ip so much actually make less power? The black cloud this thing makes is just stupid bad!

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I would guess the pump is turned up because it's worn or it's now worn because it's turned up.

Challenges are what makes life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you mean "access cover to the fuel screw", those are very small screws and drilling them out you could end up ruining the IP case, takes a very small drill and be very careful. Use a drill press or have someone with one to drill it out.

Your getting all that Black smoke because the IP is feeding that ***** way to much fuel at the wrong time. Only fix is to time the IP or have it timed. As towcat said, put your 7.3 IP on, but you still have to time it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its as posted. You have choices. I'm not an expert about timing but. I know a little bout it. My thoughts are the 6.9 timing is wrong and thats a problem. It will contribute to the smoke. Timing the 7.3 pump on the 6.9 will wake up the 6.9. Or make a mark. Remove the pump but do not remove the injection pump gear housing that's held to the block with the long 9/16 hex bolts. There is plenty of information how to remove the pump and not screw up the gear timing. If you choose to remove the pump to get the broken bolt out of it I bet the bolt unscrews easily. The guy before you probably tightened it too much and broke the bolt. Sadly you were the person that it separated on. If you reinstall the 6.9 pump do advance it about 1/16 of an inch towards the passenger side fender. Thats advancing the pump.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My timing was @2atdc. I put it about 9btdc and its a totally different truck. Went from merging @35 mph to merging @55 mph

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Retarded timing is just that.... Slow as hell and wont pull a fart out of a hat.. Its really shocking how a little movement of the pump changes everything.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its must be really retarted. My old 84 ranger with the 2.0 and a single barrel carb would run circles around my truck right now!! Probably would out tow it to.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive ran mine really really retarded.
but it was with a new pump and new injectors.
it ran ok @ -1 deg, so much better at 9*
the condition of the pump has alot to do with it also.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear she's down so much on power from that 7.3 you had. Hopefully a little timing or IP replacement would wake things up.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dually was so lazy no matter what I did with timing, advance in pump was wasted, runs very well now, put on the 7.3 pump. They likely turned up the pump thinking it would help. NOT! lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online