Electric Fan

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Been struggling with the cooling system on my 88 Ga$$er V-8 Ranger and it has no room for a mechanical fan. As long as the temps outside don't go into the 80's I can run it without much problem as I have an 18" temp controlled electric fan. But running it like I stole it.. :peelout :peelout I have cooked 3 auto trans' and 1 motor.
Can't keep it cool. Long distance drives(over 1 hr) is not an option.
It definitly cannot keep it cool as a small block gasser let alone a BB diesel. :idiot: :idiot: :idiot:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Must be other problems. I had an 87 S10 with a highly built 388 small block and had no problems cooling it. I ran a low temp high flow t-stat, would open at 165 or so and that helped a lot. It was a Mr. Gasket one that had very little restriction. I also ran a B-Cool aluminum radiator from Jegs that was designed for this application and a 14 inch electric fan. It would stay under 205 all the time, with the average temp at about 185 or so. I also had a large flat tube trans cooler, B&M I believe that kept the trans temps in check, 150 most of the time and 160 if I really worked it, I worked it a lot!!! :rotflmao

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I've been looking at replacing the stock fan clutch with an electric one I saw in a couple of threads ago

JohnDeStef

addicted
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
so how do i tell if/when my fan is kicking in?
what exactly does that viscous clutch do (isn't that what it is?)?
and when does it come on? and why?
what am i listening for?

i R&R'd the entire cooling system last year - i mean EVERYThING (rad, water pump, hoses, clamps,stat, cap) -also added the filter.
OK, not everything. i didn't do the heater core, and i completely forgot about the fan... should i for S&G?

thanks, just trying to learn a little sumpn :confused:

My '93 7.3L turbo just has it's fan clutch replaced. It's bad/going out when you shut off the engine and the fan keeps spinning.

The f'in clutch is expensive! Unfortunately I paid retail... $380 for JUST the clutch. But it made the engine bay and a/c MUCH cooler. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle