electric fan installed!!

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys i have dual fan setup and i can almost guarentee that when its 90 outside, you're running the a/c and you have a loaded trailer you're going to over heat. mine does.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly most of us can get away with no fan when unloaded on flat ground. The problem comes about when your making the rated horsepower for a long period of time. I know every time I'm climbing a big hill with something in tow, I feel more like a steam locomotive engineer than a truck driver. I watch all the gauges and occasionally look at the road!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I know every time I'm climbing a big hill with something in tow, I feel more like a steam locomotive engineer than a truck driver. I watch all the gauges and occasionally look at the road!

Mel your just wishing U were on the rail road.:dunno :rotflmao :rotflmao

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a dew eze bed on my truck for feeding big hay bales it uses a hydraulic pump to operate the lifting arms, i had to add another pulley to the crankshaft to power the hydraulic pump and my oem fan hit the newly installed pulley, so i installed a black magic 2800 cfm i think, and another 1300 cfm fan still not enough cfm to cool it down loaded, i'll try to get pics if i can figure out how to download them

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the taurus fan is rated at 4000 CFM in high speed. 2800+1300= 4100 CFM. The difference I belive is the taurus fan has a fairly large shroud so the area of air across the fins is larger that say 16" and 12" fans. I also belive the taurus fan will not be enough especialy in the south or west in 100 deg. weather pulling a load with the ac kicking on high. I do belive you can design a effecient E fan setup to draw enough air to cool the massive amount of heat generated. Maybe 2 taurus fans Im sure would do the trick but is quit a load on the electric system. You could wire one as a primary and the other as a secondary to save wear and tear. I will also be looking into this when I get mine on the road and going good.

rthomas

Reaction score
what helped me convince myself to do this was for one, the big success these have been on the psd's and thinking about how often the fan clutch actually locked up. mine never locked up in motion no matter how hot itwas outside or how much i was pulling, it would lockup after a hard pull when stopped at a light but only for a minute or two. i would say if your truck needs the fan alot more than mine did than maby the electric isnt a good option

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4000 cfm that gamudslinger88 mentioned maybe the problem. The Flex-a-lite psd twin fans are rated at 6000 cfm and they even state a GCVW limit of 18,000 lbs.

I wonder if a custom shroud with the mini van dual fans and the extra openings in the top and bottom as shown in this photo would work.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I wonder if a custom shroud with the mini van dual fans and the extra openings in the top and bottom as shown in this photo would work.

That's what my shroud looks like. It has dual 2400cfm fans. I think they stole my ideaLOL Mines not diamond plate, but it's pretty much the same. I didn't know that anyone made one until after I built mine. The openings are designed to open at speed to allow more air to flow through the shroud. It's also because when the fans are at rest (or even spinning slightly from the air flow) the blades will block some of the air and reduce the efficiency of the radiator.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For that price I will make my own. You could pick up two taurus fans off ebay for cheap. get a piece of 22 or 24 gauge sheet metal and bend it into a pan to fit around the radiator (I would cross brace it some how). layout the fan holes and the extra air flow holes. place a larger piece over the air holes than you cut out and put a hinge on the top, I would put some kind of weather striping tape around the edges to seal and keep it from clanging. Remove the fans from the factory shroud and place in your shroud like in the photo linked above. I would put the top fan on the side of the water inlet and the bottom fan on the side of the outlet. I cant remember the layout of the outlet and inlet ( I think they are on the same side) so you may not be able to do that. Make mounting tabs and mount to radiator. Wire up the fans and WHA LAA! An electric fan set up that flows 8000 cfm and for half the price.;Sweet Sounds so easy dont it. cookoo

It helps a little to have an uncle who owns a sheet metal shop and to have worked in the fabricating and welding field for 9 years. (not trying to brag or anything I think its a luxary most dont have. no braging. I promis):angel:

Its an idea I just come up with and I think im going to try it. the fans are 13" I belive but you can get larger ones that flow 4500 cfm each. 8000-9000 cfm should be plenty to cool these ol' clackers.

Last edited:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what my shroud looks like. It has dual 2400cfm fans. I think they stole my ideaLOL Mines not diamond plate, but it's pretty much the same. I didn't know that anyone made one until after I built mine. The openings are designed to open at speed to allow more air to flow through the shroud. It's also because when the fans are at rest (or even spinning slightly from the air flow) the blades will block some of the air and reduce the efficiency of the radiator.
we need pictures

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
For what its worth, Electric radiator cooling fans cost $15 +$2 core at any of the Crazy Ray's U Pull It yards.
The nice thing about Crazy Ray's is that have a printed price sheet ( also online) that gives the price for almost any part. Price is NOT dependent or make, model or year, so a part for a Mercedes is the same cost as the same part for a Ford, or Dodge, or even a Packard ( if you can find it)