electric fan installed!!

rthomas

Reaction score
after reading about all the electric fan talk in the psd forums i had to try it in the idi, mostly because the fanclutch is very slow to disengage and loud.
first, just to see what would happen i drove around for a few days without a fan, didnt miss it at all- faster warmups, quiet, temp a lot closer to tstat levels but wouldnt go above even when sitting in heavey traffic. next i went and bought a aftermarket fan controller and a fan from a ford taurus, i opted to try a single but may doubleup in the summer. installing was easey, once the old shroud was out i figured out where i wanted it, i opted for the pass. side just because thats where the trans cooler is. i had to trim the taurus shroud to make it sit flat to the radiator and to clear the water pump pully. i used a tranny cooler mounting kit to mount the fan to the radiator, i was going to make brackets that mounted in the old shroud holes but this was too easey. i mounted the control unit to one of the radiator lifting eyes and wired it in, i also wired in a toggle control to the dash for cool downs or whatever. the test was a 200 mi. rt with the car trailer and a car on it one way, the fan (set at 205) didnt come on at all and the temps didnt get past 195 even when i was trying. for now it seems to work, warmer weather??

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, so it is now your duty to keep us posted, we expect nothing less than a complete rundown (pictures would be cool as well). I am thinking about trying the setup Geo used, he did one hell of a write up on it as well.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wow, thats pretty amazing, I figured it wouldnt work on an IDI. What was the average outside temp when you were doing that 200 mile trip? I would say you will probably need 2 fans in the summer, but still it might be doable.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
YES! we need some pics!
You are gonna need those fans if you run you AC when stopped......

I forget who but someone {much smarter than I} devised a box that read the speed sensor and calibrated some resistors to switch on the fans when raod speed was below 30 mph....such as in stop and bump traffic to maintain AC comfort.;Sweet :hail

I need to fish thru my files and see if that was saved during the big crash :mad:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Geo, the easiest thing to do would be what most auto manufacturers do, if the AC is on, so are the cooling fans! I suppose a speed sensor would be nice so that when cruising down the road the fans aren't running, but keep in mind, on our trucks (IDI), there is not speed sensor, so a pulse unit of some sort would have to be devised. I can't imagine the fans being a big issue running on and IDI, just think of that big ole moster spinning on there now! :)

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
What the heck? When I click on Geo's electric fan link, I get this????

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.

Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If you don't believe, then you can't read about it! LOL

Must be some issue, I got it as well and I really believe! Or maybe hope and pray they work!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
There was a guy over on TDS a couple of years ago that did it, and allmost broke down. Things got pretty dang hot on a long tow.

rthomas

Reaction score
im sure 2 fans would do it but i want to see if 1 will, this truck has always been a cool runner so im optomistic. the one thing that im going to pay close attn to is the tranny temp, right now i notice no difference but if it gets too hot this summer i might install a second fan and controller that operates off of a sender in the t-lines.
i want to post some pics but im retarted and cant remember how to upload

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726