Running without a fan or shroud?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those thermosiphon cooling systems worked because the systems were designed around it and were so large compared to the heat created. A lot of your lister diesels operate the same way. Your truck would never operate that way because the convectional coolant flow isn't fast enough to do it.

You can run without a fan in certain scenarios. No load and cold weather and you likely will struggle to get warm. Diesel engines typically run cool at idle compared to a gas engine, because of the large amount of air being consumed and exhausted compared to a gas engine. Even in summer temps you can likely have enough air flow at speed to keep the engine cool. But if you haul anything, or travel at low speeds, there won't be enough heat rejection from the radiator and you can boil over quickly. Running the AC will also require a fan of some sort, as that is a large producer of heat as well.

I'm not sure I'd run without a fan at all. I'd at least put a small electric unit on it to give you a little air flow when you're slow or stopped. You won't be able to pull a 3 axle 5th wheel like that. But if you don't pull anything with it, have no AC, and live in a moderate climate, there's no reason a small e-fan wouldn't keep up.
I really like the idea of it being quieter. I'm almost convinced to do an electric fan. My dually hauls a bit but it's really my driver, so the "Windstar" dual fans on a switch really seems legit. I just happened on a post about running with no fan and was curious. No fan does seem like a bit much, I already torture my truck by making it run on whatever I find laying around and might squish through a fuel filter probably ought not to "temp fate" too much.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
so the "Windstar" dual fans on a switch really seems legit.
I fi ever get around to finishing the IDI swap in my Red Truck (and I REALLY hope that I do) I'll be doing this. It won't be on a switch though. It will be using a temperature activated relay so that the fans will only run when needed.
I remember that Mel was/still is running a pair of Taurus or Windstar fans on his truck. I don't recall much more about it because the build and most of the talk about it was before my time on here.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the idea of it being quieter. I'm almost convinced to do an electric fan. My dually hauls a bit but it's really my driver, so the "Windstar" dual fans on a switch really seems legit. I just happened on a post about running with no fan and was curious. No fan does seem like a bit much, I already torture my truck by making it run on whatever I find laying around and might squish through a fuel filter probably ought not to "temp fate" too much.
I remember a lot of hot rodders and corvette guys used 87-93 taurus fans with success. I also know some of your chrysler minivan fans from the late 90's blow pretty hard. Pretty much every vehicle today comes with an e-fan, except for a lot of trucks.

If your always loaded light and have a lot of highway driving, and the cooling system is up to *****, I'd think e-fans would have a chance at working.

The problem is that the IDI platform seems to struggle with overheating as is, so if you're towing or hauling at all, or running slow/idling a lot, I don't think e-fans will work. A lot of members have crashed and burned on their e-fan attempts. Granted, some weren't the greatest designs or fans to begin with.

To put it bluntly, I wouldn't try it on your tow truck.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Astro van pair of fans cooling my rig. They pull some good air compared to no fans or most aftermarkets but they stink for real cooling/towing my 4,000lb trailer. And I have no A/C. I do have an aftercooler and that dumps heat into the rad for sure.

Wes did the 6.9 cooling mod and that makes a big difference.

I don't have said mod, and I'm in Western WA where a hot day is 80*. These Astro fans only do anything at idle or low speeds. After 20-25mph-ish they are out-worked by the airspeed. They also only cover about half the rad, FWIW. Maybe 60%.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Astro van pair of fans cooling my rig. They pull some good air compared to no fans or most aftermarkets but they stink for real cooling/towing my 4,000lb trailer. And I have no A/C. I do have an aftercooler and that dumps heat into the rad for sure.

Wes did the 6.9 cooling mod and that makes a big difference.

I don't have said mod, and I'm in Western WA where a hot day is 80*. These Astro fans only do anything at idle or low speeds. After 20-25mph-ish they are out-worked by the airspeed. They also only cover about half the rad, FWIW. Maybe 60%
In all the threads I've seen about it they mention Windstar fans. Your issue is that your ford is protesting being Jerry rigged with Chevrolet parts. If we're to Jerry rig our trucks you have to keep it ford. Your PCM(headlight switch) knows the difference and just don't want to help.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Jokes on you, windstar is a Ford lol