either addiction

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very true Mel and those are good words spoken loud and clear... I'm sure there is a place for the use of it but not in my motor or my friends motor.... I think its something for chevies anyway...:dunno:D

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I've said before, I would only use either in a life and death situation but if anyone brings a can of that stuff near my truck they are taking their life into their hands.:backoff

My engine starts rather easily with 2 or even 3 dead glow plugs. With all of them working, its running before completing the first full turn and I can't see myself ever using it.

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use it all the time,,,,never no probs,,,i know i need glow plugs but to lazy to change em and i have a manual button ,,,i just dont use it and hit it with ether,,,starts right up,,,saves starter,,,been doin it on my tractors forever,,rthey dont have glow plugs,,

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ether wont hurt anything if you know how to use it correctly. ive used it a few times all it takes is a 2 sec shot in the intake and dont use the glow plugs.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically what David85 said, the damage induced by over application of ether requires it to be used to start the engine due to lack of cranking compression.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I got sent over to a crane the other day, told they couldn't get the engine to start.

6v71 detroit. I get there and ask how they've been starting it.... It was at that point that I noticed the 55gallon drum full of either cans!!!!
Apparently they would take two-three cans of either and continually spray as it was cranking/running until it was running on diesel. This often took 1minute.

I installed an electric fuel pump, switched it on, hit the start button, engine roared to life.... shut off electric fuel pump and told them to never do that sh*t again.

my point? ignorant people do ignorant things, and than to make it worse they say ignorant stuff and treat it as gospel. Learn how a damn engine works before resorting to something like either, normally the problems an easy fix.

Drew

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I HAVE WALKED INTO A SHOP JUST AS THE SOMEONE SPRAYED EITHER INTO THE INTAKE AND THE GLOW PLUGS WORKED! I would never use either on a diesel unless It was mine and i know the glow plugs are not even hooked up to the relay! sorry but I watched as a good friend of mines father who is an old school mechanic tried either on a 01 powerstorke! before I had a chance to say "what the hell are you doing" the air box the air tube going to the turbo and his eyebrows were gone or on fire. memory has always stuck with me so im alittle scared of either on a diesel

:rotflmao

sorry.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score

its ok wasen't my truck lol after me and his son made sure he was ok we laughed our ***** off caues he was standing there frozen in front of the truck with the either can in his hand and a blackened face. looked like a cartoon. the owner of the truck though didnt think it was to funny :rotflmao