either addiction

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
im curious how do diesels get addicted to either why is that what happens to the engine to cause this problem of addiction
i dont know and i want to find out why

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whoever says these motors get addicted to ether has OD'd the motor on the stuff. you only use a quck whiff of the stuff and you will have no problems. if you OD, you will have the preignition and at worst, hydrolock.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
It's a myth.

I've used it to start em up when the GP system is inoperative but the truck will start just fine without drugs if the gp system s functioning properly and the timing is proper.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
whoever says these motors get addicted to ether has OD'd the motor on the stuff. you only use a quck whiff of the stuff and you will have no problems. if you OD, you will have the preignition and at worst, hydrolock.

no i know the quick wiff thing but
can diesels get addicted to either (they wont start with out using it)
what happens to the engine when this occurs
or is this an olds wife's tale thats what im trying to figure out

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Starter fluid + glow plugs... Locks up the motor if... You do it with a warm motor. Please don't ask why I know this but... The wifey doesn't drive the truck out of fuel on one tank any longer... On the S. Ca. freeways after dark.......-cuss-cuss-cuss

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starter fluid + glow plugs... Locks up the motor if... You do it with a warm motor. Please don't ask why I know this but... The wifey doesn't drive the truck out of fuel on one tank any longer... On the S. Ca. freeways after dark.......-cuss-cuss-cuss
dude......
you're supposed to to wait for the GPC to STOP CLICKING before you hit it with ether.cookoocookoocookoo

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I don't know if this is correct, but I was told (almost like saying "Once upon a time...":rotflmao) that ether will "explode" in the cylinder and cause the rings to "swell". Once the engine has gone through this over a long time, it will cause a lack of compression needed to start without the ether "swelling" the rings to seal the chamber.:dunno I don't know if this is true, but it sounded good at the time I was told this.:D:rotflmao

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
So just to get the story straight.

Engines can NOT become addicted to ether.

Everyone is trying to tell You the same thing, in Their own words.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I don't know if this is correct, but I was told (almost like saying "Once upon a time...":rotflmao) that ether will "explode" in the cylinder and cause the rings to "swell". Once the engine has gone through this over a long time, it will cause a lack of compression needed to start without the ether "swelling" the rings to seal the chamber.:dunno I don't know if this is true, but it sounded good at the time I was told this.:D:rotflmao

that sounds good to me as an answer
regaurdless my truck is not an either addict nor do i use either maybe a wiff now and again
its just a general question
thanks

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either can cause the upper compression rings to break in half because of the high flame speed combined with potential for preignition. I pulled apart an engine that had that happen on 3 of 4 cylinders. It can happen without you even knowing. I guess you could say the engine gets addicted if it looses some compression and needs starting fluid the next time because of using it in the first place. But its an over simplification at best.

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I broke the ether habit by installing new glow plugs. Now they work, so I don't have to.

Now if I could only find out where the air is getting into the fuel line...

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HAVE WALKED INTO A SHOP JUST AS THE SOMEONE SPRAYED EITHER INTO THE INTAKE AND THE GLOW PLUGS WORKED! I would never use either on a diesel unless It was mine and i know the glow plugs are not even hooked up to the relay! sorry but I watched as a good friend of mines father who is an old school mechanic tried either on a 01 powerstorke! before I had a chance to say "what the hell are you doing" the air box the air tube going to the turbo and his eyebrows were gone or on fire. memory has always stuck with me so im alittle scared of either on a diesel

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with either as I see it is two fold. First off, if you use it on a hot glow plug, you've got a serious problem. As was just mentioned, if the intake valve is open when it hits it, you've got an uncontained explosion. The second thing that bothers me is, with our high compression engines, ignition of the either even under ideal conditions is going to be premature, resulting in severely advanced timing for a few revolutions, and that has to be really ******* just about everything. We all know that when the glow plug and fuel system is 100%, these things will start long after the witches teet has broken off. Either is just an act of despiration no matter which way you look at it.