EGT's out of control

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
What do you do when you reach those temps to bring it back down?

Pull your heavy right boot off the skinny pedal:D

Or like me not hook your pyro up and just not worry about it, what you dont know wont hurt you right?

I do like he says and back off the go pedal, until the temps go down.

I've gathered up the parts and I'm getting ready to start on my water injection system. Wish me luck!

BTW: I have to worry about it(The temps) since this is our only tow vehicle right now, and we go on vacation next weekend! I want the water system up and running before then... Lots of hills ahead of us!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I do like he says and back off the go pedal, until the temps go down.

I've gathered up the parts and I'm getting ready to start on my water injection system. Wish me luck!

BTW: I have to worry about it(The temps) since this is our only tow vehicle right now, and we go on vacation next weekend! I want the water system up and running before then... Lots of hills ahead of us!

Post some pics after you get your water injection done, i want to do this to my idi

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Post some pics after you get your water injection done, i want to do this to my idi

Will do!

However, there is a great writeup in the IDI tech articles.

I did get the pump, solenoid and the Hobbs pressure switch installed today. I also got most of the under-hood wiring done. Still need to wire the relay and the indicator light/switch inside the cab.

I also tested the pump/nozzle/solenoid combo and it worked flawlessly! ;Sweet

It put out a great mist, that was very fine. I put it in the Y pipe, that comes out of the turbo and goes to the intake plenums. I didn't want to chance putting it pre-turbo, since it could have eaten up the compressor blades. I think it'll be great, once I get it done.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Will do!

However, there is a great writeup in the IDI tech articles.

I did get the pump, solenoid and the Hobbs pressure switch installed today. I also got most of the under-hood wiring done. Still need to wire the relay and the indicator light/switch inside the cab.

I also tested the pump/nozzle/solenoid combo and it worked flawlessly! ;Sweet

It put out a great mist, that was very fine. I put it in the Y pipe, that comes out of the turbo and goes to the intake plenums. I didn't want to chance putting it pre-turbo, since it could have eaten up the compressor blades. I think it'll be great, once I get it done.

It should do real good for lowering your egt's it will also gain you a little boost:thumbsup:

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I got the system finished today and will have pics pretty soon. I used the stock setting of 60PSI on the pump and the M5 Hago nozzle. This is one of three nozzles I bought and the lowest flow rate. At 60PSI, this nozzle flows 3.87GPH. I didn't notice a whole lot of boost gain, but I could definitely tell when it was pumping!

I also bought a M10 and a M15 nozzle, so I could swap them if necessary. The M10 nozzle will flow 7.75GPH and the M15 will flow 11.62GPH, both at 60PSI.

Here's the flow chart, that I found for these nozzles:

You must be registered for see images attach

With the minimum amount of change that I noticed, I may want to switch nozzles. I'll wait a day or two and see if it changes some more. It is nice, living at the bottom of a mountain.. I can test the boost and the water injection pretty easily.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Ok, so now I have a few pics.... Please excuse the crudeness of my wiring job... I couldn't find my roll of loom.

First pic, is of the pump and solenoid placement. I put them on the passenger side, where my jack used to reside. There was no other suitable place to mount them.

The solenoid is basically a shutoff valve, that will not allow water through, unless the solenoid has power. It's a safety measure.

Next pic, is the Hobbs pressure switch. I put it inline with the MAP sensor hose. That's also where my boost gauge line comes from.

The way it's wired, it is the ground for the relay. The black wire is grounded to the body.

Next pic is the jumble of wires, that will soon be loomed up and presentable. It also shows the mounting position of my high dollar water tank. I spared no expense on the tank!

I also have two 10AMP inline fuses. One from the battery line and one on the line, going to the pump and solenoid.

Final pics are of the nozzle's mounting position. I couldn't think of a better place to mount it. The spray from the nozzle is directly in the path of the charge air, out of the turbo. It should get very well-vaporized there. The only drawback, will come at fuel filter changing time. When that time comes, I plan on rotating the elbow towards the driver's side. Hopefully, that will allow me to change the filter.

The pipe I mounted the nozzle to, is out of an old ambulance. I didn't want to risk screwing it up and not be able to drive the truck.

As a side note, I went ahead and changed to the largest nozzle that I had. The smaller nozzle was used in a 4 cylinder rice burner and wasn't enough for the 444ci PSD. It made a noticeable difference! When the system kicks on, the boost goes from 7 to 11 very quickly. The EGT's are about 2-300* less and I have lots more available power. I haven't tried water/methanol yet, but plan to soon.